Neuroprotection by Drugs, Nutraceuticals and Physical Activity, 2nd Volume
Acute and chronic neurodegenerative diseases, such as stroke, brain trauma, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Huntington's disease, Parkinson's disease, and Alzheimer's disease, are associated with high morbidity and mortality rates. A characteristic of these neurodegenerative diseases is selective neuronal dysfunction and death. The symptoms and the exacerbations of these diseases are, however, very different according to their specific pathways of neuronal impairment. Several mechanisms can lead to neuronal dysfunction and death, including calcium overload, excitatory amino acid release, oxidative stress, inflammation and microglial activation, protein misfolding, proteostasis and mitochondrial disfunction. The clinical management of these diseases is currently highly critical, as therapeutic strategies are often limited to relieving symptoms rather than treating the disease. Hence, the development of neuroprotective strategies to prevent or delay neuronal impairment is at the center of the current 21st-century research agenda in biomedicine. The scientific community, in addition to focusing on the development of effective new neuroprotective drugs, is also exploring non-pharmacological approaches using food components, such as nutraceuticals, and physical activity. In this regard, several studies show that nutraceuticals and physical activity have similar or complementary neuroprotection mechanisms, suggesting new integrated approaches with pharmacological interventions to enhance their neuroprotective effects. We invite you to submit your research findings to this Special Issue, which has the aim to present the updated state-of-the-art research on the potential mechanisms of neuroprotection at pre-clinical and clinical levels that are mediated by drugs, nutraceuticals and physical activity. Original research articles, review articles, clinical trials, and meta-analyses are welcome.
Dr. Cristina Angeloni
Prof. Dr. Andrea Tarozzi
- old and new drugs
- food supplements, nutraceuticals, and functional foods
- physical activity and exercise
- integrated neuroprotective interventions
- neuroprotective mechanisms
- neuroprotective strategies
- new targets for neuroprotection
- prevention of eurodegeneration
- neurodegenerative diseases
|First Decision (median)
Current Issues in Molecular Biology
International Journal of Molecular Sciences
Preprints.org is a multidiscipline platform providing preprint service that is dedicated to sharing your research from the start and empowering your research journey.
MDPI Topics is cooperating with Preprints.org and has built a direct connection between MDPI journals and Preprints.org. Authors are encouraged to enjoy the benefits by posting a preprint at Preprints.org prior to publication:
- Immediately share your ideas ahead of publication and establish your research priority;
- Protect your idea from being stolen with this time-stamped preprint article;
- Enhance the exposure and impact of your research;
- Receive feedback from your peers in advance;
- Have it indexed in Web of Science (Preprint Citation Index), Google Scholar, Crossref, SHARE, PrePubMed, Scilit and Europe PMC.