Bioactive Compounds and Enriched Foods: Technological and Nutritional Aspects
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 31 March 2024 | Viewed by 396
Interests: bioactive compounds; gluten-free products; cereals; pseudocereals; legumes; food by-products
Interests: cereals and pseudocereals; grains; antioxidants; carotenoids; phenolic compounds; gluten-free; HPLC; health and nutrition; bioactive compounds; fruit and vegetables
Special Issues, Collections and Topics in MDPI journals
The resonance of bioactive compounds and enriched foods comes from afar, and fundamental and applied research into healthy foods and biologically active food components has been carried out over the last few decades. Nonetheless, there is much to investigate and discover, and further investigations are required to open up new opportunities to expand our knowledge in these areas.
This Special Issue aims to bring together original articles or reviews on the topics below, so as to gain new and solid knowledge of bioactive compounds and enriched foods.
- The fortification of foods with functional components from traditional and emerging sources (e.g., food by-products, food waste, botanicals, plant extracts);
- The characterization of emerging enriched foods;
- Macro- and micro-nutrients as functional components;
- The effect of (bio)technologies (e.g., thermal and non-thermal treatment, fermentation) on nutritional value and organoleptic properties of functional foods;
- The role of enriched/fortified foods in food-specific diets and/or diets followed for medical reasons;
- Probiotic enriched foods;
- Bioavailability, bioaccessibility, and bioactivity;
- Mechanisms by which enriched foods/food components can modulate physiological parameters connected with disease prevention;
- In vitro, cell and animal studies.
Dr. Francesca Melini
Dr. Valentina Melini
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All submissions that pass pre-check are peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Applied Sciences is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 2400 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- bioactive compounds
- enriched foods
- fermented foods
- probiotics and prebiotics
- bioaccessibility, bioavailability and biological activity
- human/gut health protection
- in vitro and in vivo studies
- effect of thermal/non-thermal treatments
- food waste recovery