Special Issue "Railway Infrastructure Resilience: Addressing Challenges and Ensuring Sustainability"
A special issue of Infrastructures (ISSN 2412-3811).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 20 February 2024 | Viewed by 171
2. CONSTRUCT, Faculty of Engineering, University of Porto, Rua Dr. Roberto Frias, s/n 4200-465 Porto, Portugal
Interests: instrumentation and monitoring of transport infrastructures; structural analysis of railway tracks; asset management of railway and road infrastructures; railway track degradation behavior; sustainable materials and technologies for transport infrastructures; mechanical and morphological characterization of bound and unbound granular materials
Special Issues, Collections and Topics in MDPI journals
Interests: earthquake engineering; soil-structure dynamic interaction; structural analysis of railway tracks; development of computer simulation tools for the dynamic and the long-term response; IoT infrastructure
Interests: railway and road infrastructure; railway and road track sustainable materials; monitoring of railway tracks; laboratory evaluation of railway and road materials
This Special Issue on "Railway Infrastructure Resilience: Addressing Challenges and Ensuring Long-Term Sustainability" aims to bring together state-of-the-art research and advancements in the field of railway infrastructure, tackle the challenges faced by this critical transport system, and ensure its long-term sustainability. Railways play a vital role in promoting economic growth and sustainable mobility, as well as in reducing carbon emissions. However, they face various challenges, including the impacts of climate change, technological advancements, population growth, and evolving user demands. With the increasing frequency and intensity of severe weather events, such as heatwaves, flash floods, blizzards, and other extreme climatic conditions, railway infrastructure is significantly affected, leading to operational and safety risks. This Special Issue seeks to explore innovative solutions, methodologies, and best practices to enhance the resilience and sustainability of railway infrastructure, ensuring its efficient operation, safety, and durability in the face of these challenges.
This Special Issue invites contributions from researchers, practitioners, and stakeholders in the field of railway infrastructure to address this critical need. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Strategies for adapting to climate change and resilient design practices for railway infrastructure;
- Risk assessment and management for railway systems;
- Asset management and maintenance practices for resilient infrastructure;
- Technological innovations in railway infrastructure design;
- Integration of intelligent transportation systems in railway networks;
- Innovative materials and technologies for resilient infrastructure;
- Enhancing the safety, security, and efficiency of railway operations;
- Socio-economic impacts and cost–benefit analysis of resilient infrastructure;
- Case studies highlighting successful resilience measures for railway infrastructure.
Authors are encouraged to submit original research articles, review papers, case studies, and conceptual contributions that explore the challenges and opportunities associated with enhancing the resilience and sustainability of railway infrastructure. This Special Issue provides a platform to foster interdisciplinary collaboration and knowledge exchange, with the ultimate goal of advancing the understanding and practice of resilient railway infrastructure planning, design, and management in the face of increasing severe weather events.
Dr. André Paixão
Dr. José Nuno Varandas
Dr. Rosângela Motta
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All submissions that pass pre-check are peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Infrastructures is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1600 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- resilient long-term infrastructure design
- climate change adaptation strategies
- risk assessment and management
- asset management for railway resilience
- technological innovations in railway infrastructure
- intelligent transportation systems
- sustainable materials for long-term resilient infrastructure
- safety and security in railway operations
- socio-economic impacts of resilient railway infrastructure
- case studies on successful resilience measures