Design and Implementation of a Smart Intercom System through Web Services on Web of Things
- This system deploys a chatbot server for door locks, cameras, buzzers, and related devices and provides various functional services to residents and visitors through web services on the WoT.
- The system deploys a chatbot server in an embedded system to provide web services that combine with instant messaging software to promote home security and convenience.
- The resident can control the door lock, camera, buzzer, and related devices by the instant messaging software of a smartphone through web services on the WoT. The system does not need to develop additional apps; a resident does not need to install and learn new apps.
- Residents can communicate with visitors remotely using instant messaging software on smartphones, and visitors cannot confirm whether a resident is at home by pressing an intercom button.
- The resident’s smartphone replaces the home handset; so, no additional equipment is needed at home. The system does not require a handset, reducing the cost of the handset and wiring between indoors and outdoors.
2. Related Research
3. Hardware Architecture
4. Software Framework
4.1. Function Flow of the Intercom
4.2. Function Flow of the Chatbot Service
- Door lock control function: when the chatbot server receives the “Open Door” message from the resident, the system can successfully drive the relay to control the door lock. The door can be locked automatically when the door is closed.
- Camera function: when the chatbot server receives the “Watch” message from the resident, the system can drive the camera to take pictures and send back the doorway photos to the resident in real time.
- Alarm function: when the chatbot server receives the “Alarm” message, the buzzer can make a sound in time.
- Touch and display function: when the chatbot server receives a “busy” or not reserved system message from the resident, the system can display the message directly on the touch screen of the intercom.
5.1. Hardware Implementation
5.2. Software Deployment
5.2.1. Setup Image Hosting Service
5.2.2. Setup Bot Function on the Channel of the Instant Messaging Platform
5.2.3. Setup Web Proxy Service
5.2.4. Software Operational Architecture
5.3. System Implementation and Results
- Only the mobile intercom and this system can be used by residents at any time and place, while the VOIP intercom is possible. Any visitor can use all three systems except the mobile intercom.
- Only the mobile intercom and this system can provide a wireless way to install use and give the residents sufficient mobility.
- Only the mobile intercom and this system can provide sufficient flexibility and home security, while the VOIP intercom needs to be set up separately before it can be provided.
- Although using instant messaging software eliminates the need to install and learn new apps, it is easy for users to accept and significantly reduce the cost of developing new apps. However, because none of the current instant messaging software opens API to provide a real-time call function from a third party, the current system notifies residents and visitors with text, photo, video, or audio files. Still, there is no way to provide a real-time voice call function.
- However, since the system is integrated with third-party instant messaging software, when some of the features of the instant messaging software are updated, the features of this system may need to be updated as well.
Institutional Review Board Statement
Informed Consent Statement
Data Availability Statement
Conflicts of Interest
- Mordor Intelligence/Wireless Intercoms Market Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts (2022–2027). Available online: https://www.mordorintelligence.com/industryreports/wireless-intercoms-market (accessed on 9 July 2022).
- Techwalla/History of Intercom Systems. Available online: https://www.techwalla.com/articles/history-of-intercom-systems (accessed on 9 July 2022).
- Pavelić, M.; Lončarić, Z.; Vuković, M.; Kušek, M. Internet of Things Cyber Security: Smart Door Lock System. In Proceedings of the 2018 International Conference on Smart Systems and Technologies (SST), Osijek, Croatia, 10–12 October 2018; pp. 227–232. [Google Scholar]
- Ahtsham, M.; Yan, H.Y.; Ali, U. IoT Based Door Lock Surveillance System Using Cryptographic Algorithms. In Proceedings of the 2019 IEEE 16th International Conference on Networking, Sensing and Control (ICNSC), Banff, AB, Canada, 9–11 May 2019; pp. 448–453. [Google Scholar]
- Komol, M.R.; Podder, A.K.; Ali, N.; Ansary, S.M. RFID and Finger Print Based Dual Security System: A Robust Secured Control to Access through Door Lock Operation. Am. J. Embed. Syst. Appl. 2018, 6, 15–22. [Google Scholar]
- Nadiya, U.; Rizqyawan, M.I.; Mahnedra, O. Blockchain-based Secure Data Storage for Door Lock System. In Proceedings of the 2019 4th International Conference on Information Technology, Information Systems and Electrical Engineering (ICITISEE), Yogyakarta, Indonesia, 20–21 November 2019; pp. 140–144. [Google Scholar]
- Park, W.-H.; Cheong, Y.-G. IoT smart bell notification system: Design and implementation. In Proceedings of the 2017 19th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology (ICACT), Pyeongchang, Korea, 19–22 February 2017; pp. 298–300. [Google Scholar]
- Muslih, M.; Supardi, D.; Multipi, E.; Nyaman, Y.M.; Rismawan, A. Developing Smart Workspace Based IOT with Artificial Intelligence Using Telegram Chatbot. In Proceedings of the 2018 International Conference on Computing, Engineering, and Design (ICCED), Bangkok, Thailand, 6–8 September 2018; pp. 230–234. [Google Scholar]
- Ahmed, S.; Paul, D.; Masnun, R.; Shanto, M.U.A.; Farah, T. Smart Home Shield and Automation System Using Facebook Messenger Chatbot. In Proceedings of the 2020 IEEE Region 10 Symposium (TENSYMP), Dhaka, Bangladesh, 5–7 June 2020; pp. 1791–1794. [Google Scholar]
- Huang, H.-Y.; Fanjiang, Y.-Y.; Hung, C.-H.; Lee, C.A. Design and Implement a Smart Intercom System with Remote Interactive Control. In Proceedings of the 2020 IEEE 9th Global Conference on Consumer Electronics (GCCE), Kobe, Japan, 13–16 October 2020; pp. 584–585. [Google Scholar]
- Hofman, D.; Leu, J.-S.; Troller, P. Evolution from a Door Bell into an IP Door Phone. In Proceedings of the 2019 4th International Conference on Intelligent Green Building and Smart Grid (IGBSG), Yichang, China, 6–9 September 2019; pp. 287–290. [Google Scholar]
- Adabara, I.; Edozie, E.; Okoth, G.O.; Stephen, O.; Susan, K. Implementation and Analysis of a Free Wireless Intercom System. Int. J. Acad. Inf. Syst. Res. (IJAISR) 2019, 3, 23–28. [Google Scholar]
- Ejidokun, T.O.; Oke, O.J.; Omitola, I.M.; Oduneye, T. A Cost-Effective Two-Way Household Wireless Door Intercom System. J. Commun. 2021, 16, 379–385. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Barnes, A.; Lázaro Villa, J.A. Development of a Flask Server for a Video-Streaming Intercom. Bachelor’s Thesis, Escola Tècnica Superior d’Enginyeria de Telecommunicaci´o de Barcelona, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain, June 2019. [Google Scholar]
- Du, X.; Tang, S. Design and Implementation of Mobile Phone Intercom App Based on Android. In Proceedings of the 2021 International Conference on Computer Network, Electronic and Automation (ICCNEA), Xi’an, China, 24–26 September 2021; pp. 91–95. [Google Scholar]
- Xueping, Z.; Kangming, Z.; Xiaowei, W.; Jichang, C. Design of Laboratory Cloud Visual Intercom Access Control System Based on NFC Technology. In Proceedings of the 2020 International Conference on Computer Communication and Network Security (CCNS), Guilin, China, 21–23 August 2020; pp. 10–13. [Google Scholar]
- Baikerikar, J.; Kavathekar, V.; Ghavate, N.; Sawant, R.; Madan, K. Smart Door Locking Mechanism. In Proceedings of the 2021 4th Biennial International Conference on Nascent Technologies in Engineering (ICNTE), Navi Mumbai, India, 15–16 January 2021; pp. 1–4. [Google Scholar]
- Shanthini, M.; Vidya, G.; Arun, R. IoT Enhanced Smart Door Locking System. In Proceedings of the 2020 Third International Conference on Smart Systems and Inventive Technology (ICSSIT), 2020 Third International Conference on Smart Systems and Inventive Technology (ICSSIT), Tirunelveli, India, 20–22 August 2020; pp. 92–96. [Google Scholar]
- Priyakanth, R.; Krishna, N.M.S.; Karanam, G.; Prassna, M.L.; Poojitha, S.B.; Mounika, J. IoT Based Smart Door Unlock and Intruder Alert System. In Proceedings of the 2021 2nd International Conference on Smart Electronics and Communication (ICOSEC), Trichy, India, 7–9 October 2021; pp. 6–11. [Google Scholar]
- Hussein, N.A.; Al Mansoori, I. Smart Door System for Home Security Using Raspberry pi3. In Proceedings of the 2017 International Conference on Computer and Applications (ICCA), Doha, United Arab Emirates, 6–7 September 2017; pp. 395–399. [Google Scholar]
- Vaidya, B.; Patel, A.; Panchal, A.; Mehta, R.; Mehta, K.; Vaghasiya, P. Smart home automation with a unique door monitoring system for old age people using Python, OpenCV, Android and Raspberry pi. In Proceedings of the 2017 International Conference on Intelligent Computing and Control Systems (ICICCS), Madurai, India, 15–16 June 2017; pp. 82–86. [Google Scholar]
- Lee, Y.-S.; Fanjiang, Y.-Y.; Hung, C.-H.; Li, W.-D.; Zhang, T.-M. Design and Implement the Convenient Home Appliances Control with Instant Messaging Software. In Proceedings of the 2020 IEEE 9th Global Conference on Consumer Electronics (GCCE), Kobe, Japan, 13–16 October 2020; pp. 604–605. [Google Scholar]
- Chomklin, A.; Tanthavech, N.; Pakornmanokul, S. Prototype of Air Conditioners Control Systems via Line Chatbot using Raspberry Pi. In Proceedings of the 2021 6th International Conference on Business and Industrial Research (ICBIR), Bangkok, Thailand, 20–21 May 2021; pp. 1–6. [Google Scholar]
- Yue, C.Z.; Ping, S. Voice activated smart home design and implementation. In Proceedings of the 2017 2nd International Conference on Frontiers of Sensors Technologies (ICFST), Shenzhen, China, 14–16 April 2017; pp. 489–492. [Google Scholar]
|IP network||Wired/Wireless||SIP user||Fixed/Mobility||General system|
|IP network||Wireless||Apps user||Mobility||General system|
|Deploy VoIP||Deployed Chatbot||Web |
|Reply||Bot||Sent message user||Chatbot passively replies to user messages|
|Push||Bot||Specific users or groups||Chatbot proactive push|
|Type||Call/Send Voice||Send Text||Send Picture||Send Video||Open Door||Activate Alarm||Take Picture|
|Traditional intercom ||Call||-||-||V||V||-||-|
|VoIP intercom [11,12]||Call||-||-||V||-||-||-|
|Mobile intercom ||Send Voice||V||V||V||-||-||-|
|Smart intercom||Send Voice||V||V||V||V||V||V|
Publisher’s Note: MDPI stays neutral with regard to jurisdictional claims in published maps and institutional affiliations.
© 2022 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Huang, H.-Y.; Fanjiang, Y.-Y.; Hung, C.-H.; Lee, C.-A. Design and Implementation of a Smart Intercom System through Web Services on Web of Things. Telecom 2022, 3, 675-691. https://doi.org/10.3390/telecom3040036
Huang H-Y, Fanjiang Y-Y, Hung C-H, Lee C-A. Design and Implementation of a Smart Intercom System through Web Services on Web of Things. Telecom. 2022; 3(4):675-691. https://doi.org/10.3390/telecom3040036Chicago/Turabian Style
Huang, Hsin-Yu, Yong-Yi Fanjiang, Chi-Huang Hung, and Chia-An Lee. 2022. "Design and Implementation of a Smart Intercom System through Web Services on Web of Things" Telecom 3, no. 4: 675-691. https://doi.org/10.3390/telecom3040036