Biogeochemistry, Medical and Environmental Mineralogy of Fibrous Minerals
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 13 October 2024 | Viewed by 1277
The purpose of this Special Issue is to collect contributions on the nomenclature of fibrous minerals, their characterization and the development of analytical techniques, and their interaction with the biosphere and the environment.
According to mineralogists, fibrous minerals are those minerals that appear as composed of fibers. The term “fiber” is a qualitative mineralogical definition identifying minerals with a highly elongated morphology. This Special Issue welcomes any contribution related to those minerals that might be qualitatively identified as fibrous (including “elongate mineral particles,” asbestiform minerals, and so on). The interaction between asbestos and the human body was largely investigated for decades in the scientific literature. On the other hand, many other minerals that are not identified as asbestos are poorly investigated, despite sharing similar properties with it. In this Special Issue, we hope to gather contributions dealing with:
- Fibrous minerals’ nomenclature, terminology and parametrization issues, inaccuracies, and possible solutions;
- The characterization of fibrous minerals using multi-instrumental and multi-scale approaches;
- The physicochemical state of fibrous minerals in different matrices, including both organic and inorganic matrices;
- The physicochemical transformation of fibrous minerals in the environment, in simulated body fluids, and in cell cultures or other matrices of interest;
- The application and development of advanced or unusual characterization techniques in the investigation of the state or transformation of fibrous minerals.
Dr. Ruggero Vigliaturo
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All submissions that pass pre-check are peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Minerals is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 2400 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- fibrous minerals
- elongate mineral particles
- fibers’ physico-chemistry