Special Issue "Circular Economy Systems: Design, Use, and Innovation"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 15 January 2024 | Viewed by 3390
Interests: system dynamics; circular economy; sharing economy; sustainability transition; innovation diffusion
Interests: sustainability assessment and reporting; circular economy; business model innovation; sustainable development; business policy; business strategy
Special Issues, Collections and Topics in MDPI journals
Topical Collection in Sustainability: Waste Management towards a Circular Economy Transition
Interests: sustainable development; megaprojects; sustainability accounting and reporting; universities; CSEAR
Special Issues, Collections and Topics in MDPI journals
The paradigm of the circular economy has been under intense debate; as such, it aims at representing the most recent attempts to conceptualize the integration of economic activities and environmental wellbeing in a sustainable way. The interaction between the economy and the environment requires a focus on waste generated through resources processing, and therefore, the interlinkages between the economy and the environment would be circular rather than linear . In this regard, with a particular focus on waste hierarchy, circular economy aims to close the supply chain loops as much as possible to facilitate the transition toward sustainability and reach a zero-waste environment .
This Special Issue invites contributions (original research articles, reviews, and communications) addressing circular economy systems, from design  to application , as well as the footprint they can have in various aspects of human lives in society [5,6]. For instance, the role of innovation in various aspects of circular systems  and also designing circularity measurement frameworks to evaluate the circularity of systems and products are among the topics of interest. Furthermore, studies based on the complexities inherent in most sociotechnical and socioenvironmental systems, adopting a multidisciplinary approach, applying systems thinking, and building causal-loop diagrams or system dynamics simulation models are strongly welcome.
Research areas and topics may include (but are not limited to) the following:
- System dynamics in circular systems;
- Circularity metrics and related reporting practices;
- Product–service systems and sharing economy platforms;
- Waste management and waste-to-energy systems;
- Circular business models and business model innovation in the circular economy;
- Circularity in transportation systems;
- Circular economy in agricultural systems;
- Circular economy in smart cities;
- Accounting and measurement of circularity impacts;
- Artificially intelligent applications in the circular economy;
- Circular economy in health systems;
- Digital systems in the circular economy;
- Closed-loop supply chains.
We look forward to receiving your contributions.
- Pearce DW, Turner RK, Turner RK. Economics of natural resources and the environment. Johns Hopkins University Press; 1990.
- Ranjbari M, Saidani M, Shams Esfandabadi Z, Peng W, Lam SS, Aghbashlo M, et al. Two decades of research on waste management in the circular economy: Insights from bibliometric, text mining, and content analyses. J Clean Prod 2021;314:128009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2021.128009.
- Thakker V, Bakshi BR. Toward sustainable circular economies: A computational framework for assessment and design. J Clean Prod 2021;295:126353. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2021.126353.
- Shevchenko T, Ranjbari M, Shams Esfandabadi Z, Danko Y, Bliumska-Danko K. Promising Developments in Bio-Based Products as Alternatives to Conventional Plastics to Enable Circular Economy in Ukraine. Recycling 2022;7:20. https://doi.org/10.3390/recycling7020020.
- Shams Esfandabadi Z, Ravina M, Diana M, Zanetti MC. Conceptualizing environmental effects of carsharing services: A system thinking approach. Sci Total Environ 2020;745:141169. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.141169.
- Ranjbari M, Shams Esfandabadi Z, Ferraris A, Quatraro F, Rehan M, Nizami A-S, et al. Biofuel supply chain management in the circular economy transition: An inclusive knowledge map of the field. Chemosphere 2022;296:133968. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2022.133968.
- Brown P, Bocken N, Balkenende R. Why Do Companies Pursue Collaborative Circular Oriented Innovation? Sustainability 2019;11:635. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11030635.
Dr. Zahra Shams Esfandabadi
Dr. Simone Domenico Scagnelli
Dr. Laura Corazza
Dr. Dario Cottafava
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All submissions that pass pre-check are peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Systems is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 2400 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.