Digital Literacy and Digital Self-Efficacy of Australian Technology Teachers
2. Materials and Methods
2.1. The GPS Cows Module
2.2. GPS Cows Workshops
2.3. Data Collection and Analysis
2.4. Assessment of Digital Literacy Required for the GPS Cows Module
3. Results and Discussion
3.1. Self-Assessment of Digital Literacy and Digital Self-Efficacy
3.2. Impact of Teacher Digital Literacy on Perceived Student Digital Literacy
3.3. Impact of Workshops on Teacher Digital Literacy
4. Conclusions, Limitations, and Future Research
Institutional Review Board Statement
Informed Consent Statement
Data Availability Statement
Conflicts of Interest
- Bowles, M. Digital Literacy and e-Skills: Participation in the Digital Economy; Innovation and Business Skills Australia: Melbourne, VI, Australia, 2013. [Google Scholar]
- Baterna, H.B.; Mina, T.D.G.; Rogayan, R.V.J. Digital literacy of STEM senior school students: Basis for enhancement program. Int. J. Technol. Educ. 2020, 3, 105–117. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Australian Industry and Skills Committee. Digital skills. Available online: https://nationalindustryinsights.aisc.net.au/national/digital-skills (accessed on 27 January 2022).
- Fraillon, J. Digital literacy: Myths and realities. In Proceedings of the Research Conference 2019—Preparing Students for Life in the 21st Century: Identifying, Developing and Assessing What Matters, Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre, South Wharf, VI, Australia, 4–5 August 2019; pp. 68–72. [Google Scholar]
- ACARA. NAP Sample Assessment ICT Literacy—Years 6 and 10; Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority: Sydney, NSW, Australia, 2018. [Google Scholar]
- Fraillon, J. Working from home and digital literacy—What can we assume? Teach. Mag. 2020. [Google Scholar]
- Gekara, V.; Snell, D.; Molla, A.; Karanasios, S.; Thomas, A. Skilling the Australian Workforce for the Digital Economy; NCVER: Adelaide, SA, Australia, 2019. [Google Scholar]
- Morey, T. Virtual Mentoring in Agricultural Education: Describing Digital Literacy, Technology Self-Efficacy, and Attitudes Towards Technology of Pre-Service and In-Service Agricultural Educators; Pennsylvania State University: University Park, PA, USA, 2020. [Google Scholar]
- Falloon, G. From digital literacy to digital competence: The teacher digital competency (TDC) framework. Educ. Technol. Res. Dev. 2020, 68, 2449–2472. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Instefjord, E.J.; Munthe, E. Educating digitally competent teachers: A study of integration of professional digital competence in teacher education. Teach. Teach. Educ. 2017, 67, 37–45. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Sadaf, A.; Gezer, T. Exploring factors that influence teachers’ intentions to integrate digital literacy using the decomposed theory of planned behavior. J. Digit. Learn. Teach. Educ. 2020, 36, 124–145. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Peltzer, C. Attracting Youth into Agriculture—Developing a Strategic Framework to Encourage Young People to Pursue a Career in Agriculture—A Model for Tasmania; Nuffield Australia Project No 1903; Nuffield Australia: Kyogle, NSW, Australia, 2019. [Google Scholar]
- Ottestad, G.; Kelentrić, M.; Guðmundsdóttir, G.B. Professional Digital Competence in Teacher Education. Nord. J. Digit. Lit. 2014, 9, 243–249. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Petrea, R.; Yehuda, P. Exploring TPACK among pre-service teachers in Australia and Israel: Exploring TPACK among preservice teachers in Australia and Israel. Br. J. Educ. Technol. 2019, 50, 2040–2054. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- ACARA. General Capabilities Digital Literacy (Previously ICT)—Consultation—Introductory information and learning continua. Available online: https://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/media/7024/gc_digital_literacy_ict_capability_consultation_curriculum.pdf (accessed on 7 March 2022).
- Sun, S. An examination of disposition, motivation, and involvement in the new technology context computers in human behavior. Comput. Hum. Behav. 2008, 24, 2723–2740. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Aslan, S. Analysis of digital literacy self-efficacy levels of pre-service teachers. Int. J. Technol. Educ. 2021, 4, 57–67. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Ng, W. Can we teach digital natives digital literacy? Comput. Educ. 2012, 59, 1065–1078. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Kirschner, P.A.; De Bruyckere, P. The myths of the digital native and the multitasker. Teach. Teach. Educ. 2017, 67, 135–142. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Bandura, A. Self-efficacy mechanism in human agency. Am. Psychol. 1982, 37, 122–147. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- NESA. Technologies syllabuses. Available online: https://educationstandards.nsw.edu.au/wps/portal/nesa/k-10/learning-areas/technologies (accessed on 7 March 2022).
- NESA. Technology Mandatory Years 7–8 Syllabus; NESA: Sydney, NSW, Australia, 2017. [Google Scholar]
- Manning, J.; Cosby, A.; Fogarty, E.S.; Harreveld, B. Teachers’ perspectives about the content, context, and educational suitability of the GPS cows module for Australian teachers in New South Wales. Int. J. Technol. Des. Educ. 2023. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- CQUniversity. GPS Cows. Available online: https://www.gpscows.com/ (accessed on 27 August 2022).
- Manning, J.; Cosby, A.; Fogarty, E.S.; Harreveld, B. Do teacher workshops as a professional development activity provide the adequate skills, knowledge and confidence to deliver the GPS cows NSW stage 4 technology mandatory module? Aust. Int. J. Rural Educ. 2022, 32, 22–37. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- NAP. NAP National Assessment Program. Available online: https://www.nap.edu.au/home (accessed on 13 May 2022).
- Earl, L. From accounting to accountability: Harnessing data for school improvement. In Proceedings of the ACER Research Conference: Using Data to Support Learning, Melbourne, VI, Australia, 7–9 August 2005; pp. 6–10. [Google Scholar]
- Smeed, J. Data analysis skills for teachers. Perspect. Educ. Leadersh. 2012, 1, 1–2. [Google Scholar]
- Polly, D. Examining Teachers’ Enactment of Technological Pedagogical and Content Knowledge (TPACK) in their Mathematics Teaching after Technology Integration Professional Development. J. Comput. Math. Sci. Teach. 2011, 30, 37–59. [Google Scholar]
- Boris, H.; Campbell, C.; Cavanagh, M.; Petocz, P.; Kelly, N. Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge of Secondary Mathematics Teachers. Contemp. Issues Technol. Teach. Educ. 2013, 13, 22–40. [Google Scholar]
- Mishra, P.; Koehler, M. Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge: A framework for teacher knowledge. Teach. Coll. Rec. 2006, 108, 1017–1065. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Times Higher Education. World University Rankings. 2022. Available online: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2022/world-ranking#!/page/0/length/25/locations/AUS/subjects/3108/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats (accessed on 8 March 2022).
- The University of Sydney. Bachelor of Education (Secondary). Available online: https://www.sydney.edu.au/courses/courses/uc/bachelor-of-education-secondary.html (accessed on 8 March 2022).
- University of New South Wales. Bachlor of Science/Education (Secondary). Available online: https://www.unsw.edu.au/study/undergraduate/bachelor-of-science-education-secondary?studentType=Domestic (accessed on 8 March 2022).
- University of Technology Sydney. Secondary Education. Available online: https://www.uts.edu.au/study/education/undergraduate-education-courses/secondary-education (accessed on 8 March 2022).
- Weldon, P.R. Out-of-field Teaching in Australian Secondary Schools; Policy Insight. Australian Council for Educational Research: Melbourne, VI, Australia, 2016. [Google Scholar]
- Australian Mathematical Science Institute. Innovation and Science Australia 2030 Strategic Plan Issues Paper. Available online: https://amsi.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/innovation-and-science-australia_2030-strategic-plan-issues-paper_amsi-response-final-7june2017.pdf (accessed on 16 August 2021).
- Hobbs, L. Teaching out-of-field: Factors shaping identities of secondary science and mathematics. Teach. Sci. 2012, 58, 21–29. [Google Scholar]
- Prensky, M. Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants. Available online: https://www.marcprensky.com/writing/Prensky%20-%20Digital%20Natives,%20Digital%20Immigrants%20-%20Part1.pdf (accessed on 17 February 2022).
- NSW Department of Education. 2020 Teacher Age Profiles. Available online: https://data.cese.nsw.gov.au/data/dataset/age-profiles-of-permanent-nsw-public-school-teachers/resource/5e174bc4-dd29-43a4-84a0-ff7e6ba2a10b (accessed on 17 February 2022).
- Loucks-Horsley, S.; Hewson, P.W.; Love, N.; Stiles, K.E. Designing Professional Development for Teachers of Science and Mathematics; Corwin Press: Thousand Oaks, CA, USA, 1998. [Google Scholar]
- NSW Department of Education. Statewide Staffrooms. Available online: https://education.nsw.gov.au/teaching-and-learning/curriculum/statewide-staffrooms (accessed on 2 February 2022).
|Elements||Sub-Elements||Applicable to the GPS Cows Module|
|Practising digital safety and|
|Manage digital wellbeing|
|Manage online privacy and safety and manage digital identity|
|Communicating and collaborating||Communicate|
|Collaborate and exchange|
|Collect and collate data|
|Creating||Plan and design|
|Respect intellectual property|
|Managing and operating||Manage content|
|Select and operate tools|
Disclaimer/Publisher’s Note: The statements, opinions and data contained in all publications are solely those of the individual author(s) and contributor(s) and not of MDPI and/or the editor(s). MDPI and/or the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to people or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content.
© 2023 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Cosby, A.; Fogarty, E.S.; Manning, J. Digital Literacy and Digital Self-Efficacy of Australian Technology Teachers. Educ. Sci. 2023, 13, 530. https://doi.org/10.3390/educsci13050530
Cosby A, Fogarty ES, Manning J. Digital Literacy and Digital Self-Efficacy of Australian Technology Teachers. Education Sciences. 2023; 13(5):530. https://doi.org/10.3390/educsci13050530Chicago/Turabian Style
Cosby, Amy, Eloise S. Fogarty, and Jaime Manning. 2023. "Digital Literacy and Digital Self-Efficacy of Australian Technology Teachers" Education Sciences 13, no. 5: 530. https://doi.org/10.3390/educsci13050530