Special Issue "Dynamics and Machining Stability for Flexible Systems"
A special issue of Journal of Manufacturing and Materials Processing (ISSN 2504-4494).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 17 May 2024 | Viewed by 219
Interests: machining dynamics; chatter stability; mechanical vibrations; process control; intelligent tooling; metal cutting
Interests: multi-axis intelligent CNC machining; robot precision measurement; surface quality control
Special Issues, Collections and Topics in MDPI journals
Multi-axis milling, turning, and grinding of thin-walled structures using flexible machining systems such as slender tools and flexible robotic arms integrated with spindles have many inherent challenges due to vibrations and chatter as well as dimensional errors. Recent innovations in tooling, AI-assisted approaches, and process modelling promise near optimal cutting performance by minimizing vibrations and compensating for errors.
In this JMMP Special Issue, we invite submissions related but not limited to the following topics:
- Modelling, simulation, or digital twinning solutions of machine tool vibrations and chatter stability with flexible machining systems such as thin-walled milling, shell turning, and robotic machining;
- System identification, modal analysis, or process monitoring of flexible systems;
- Chatter avoidance in flexible machining systems through active and passive damping solutions, tool geometry design, or path planning strategies;
- Active control in compliant grinding such as robotic polishing;
- Use of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in vibration prediction and control;
- Nonlinearities in flexible machining systems;
- Special challenging processes such as turn-milling, vibration-assisted machining, or micro-machining;
- Challenges associated with the machining of additively manufactured components.
Dr. Zekai Murat Kilic
Prof. Dr. Jixiang Yang
Dr. Mohit Law
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All submissions that pass pre-check are peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Journal of Manufacturing and Materials Processing is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1600 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- digital twin
- chatter stability
- thin-walled machining
- flexible machining systems
- robotic machining
- chatter avoidance
- artificial intelligence
- machine learning
- compliant grinding
- system identification
- process monitoring