Bulgarian Roma at the Dawn of the COVID-19 Pandemic
2. Research Target
4. Research Design
5. COVID-19 Pandemic in Bulgaria
6. The Roma Population and COVID-19 in Bulgaria
6.1. The Case of the City of Bansko
6.1.1. COVID-19 Quarantine of the City
6.1.2. Attitude of the Roma towards Quarantine: Coping Strategies
6.2. The Case of the Village of Panicherevo
6.2.1. COVID-19 Quarantine of the Village
6.2.2. Attitude of the Roma towards Quarantine: Coping Strategies
Institutional Review Board Statement
Informed Consent Statement
Data Availability Statement
Conflicts of Interest
- Action Plan of the Municipality of Bansko Pursuant to the District Strategy for Attending the Bulgarian Citizens of Roma Origin and Other Citizens in a Socially Vulnerable Situation Living in Same Situation of the Roma Period 2021–2023. 2021. [Plan za deystvie na obshtina Bansko v izpalnenie na oblastnata strategiya za priobshtavane na balgarskite grazhdani ot romski proizkhod i drugi grazhdani v uyazvimo sotsialno polozhenie, zhiveeshti v shodna na romite situatsiya za perioda 2021–2023 g. (plan za deystvie). 2021]. Available online: https://bansko.bg/phocadownloadpap/normativni-i-aministrativni-aktove/proekti-na-dokumenti/2021/Proekt_Plan_za_dejstvie_obshtina_Bansko_2021_300821.pdf (accessed on 16 January 2023).
- Asenov, Krassimir. 2022. Beyond the Ecumene: Roma Genesis, Community, and Survival in the COVID-19 World. In COVID-19 and a World of Ad Hoc Geographies. Edited by Stanley D. Brunn and Donna Gilbreath. Cham: Springer. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Bansko. 2022. Available online: https://bansko.bg/ (accessed on 25 January 2023).
- Boyce, Carolyn, and Palena Neale. 2006. Conducting In-depth Interviews: A Guide for Designing and Conducting In-Depth Interviews for Evaluation Input. Watertown: Pathfinder International. [Google Scholar]
- Bryman, Alan. 2012. Social Research Methods, 4th ed. New York: Oxford University Press. [Google Scholar]
- Darik Radio. 2021. The Mayor of Bansko about the Complete Quarantine in the Resort a Year Ago: Everything was Difficult [Kmetat na Bansko za palnata karantina v kurorta predi godina: Vsichko beshe trudno] (17 March 2021). Available online: https://darik.bg/kmetat-na-bansko-za-palnata-karantina-v-kurorta-predi-godina-vsichko-beshe-trudno (accessed on 25 January 2023).
- Erolova, Yelis. 2013. Muslim Gypsies: “Gypsies”, “Turks” or/and “Millet”. In Ethnicity, Religion, and Migrations of the Gypsies in Bulgaria. Edited by Yelis Erolova and Magdalena Slavkova. Sofia: Paradigma, pp. 25–46. [Google Scholar]
- ESGRAON. n.d. Bansko Municipal Administration, Labor Bureau Directorate, TSB—Blagoevgrad and NSI. Available online: https://bit.ly/3B7ZmsK (accessed on 21 January 2023).
- Fothergill, Alice, Enrique Maestes, and Joanne Derouen Darlington. 1999. Race, Ethnicity and Disasters in the United States: A Review of the Literature. Disasters 23: 156–73. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Gayatri, Maria, and Dian Kristiani Irawaty. 2021. Family resilience during COVID-19 pandemic: A Literature review. The Family Journal 30: 132–38. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Georgieva, Vanina. 2022. Media Framing of the Roma Ethnic Minority in Bulgaria during the COVID-19 Crisis. Master’s thesis, Linnaeus University, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, School of Social Sciences, Växjö, Sweden. Available online: https://www.noveleea.bg/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/Thematic_report_Roma_BG_22-04-26.pdf (accessed on 14 January 2023).
- Grekova, Maya, Boyan Zahariev, Ivaylo Turnev, and Ilko Yordanov. 2021. COVID-19 in Roma Neighbourhoods in Bulgaria. Institute “Open Society—Sofia”. Available online: https://osis.bg/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Covid_Roma_Apr_2021.pdf (accessed on 14 January 2023).
- Hoffman, Susanna, and Anthony Oliver-Smith. 2020. The Angry Earth. New York and London: Routledge. [Google Scholar]
- IFRC (International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies). 2016. What Is Vulnerability? Available online: https://www.ifrc.org/en/what-we-do/disaster-management/about-disasters/what-is-a-disaster/what-is-vulnerability/ (accessed on 24 January 2023).
- Ilieva, Angelina, and Vihra Baeva. 2021. COVID-19 Pandemic and its Cultural Dimensions (Pandemiyata ot COVID-19 i neynite kulturni izmereniya). In Pandemics and Epidemics. Ethno-Cultural Dimensions of the Pandemic from COVID-19 (Pandemii i epidemii. Etnokulturni izmereniya na pandemiyata ot COVID-19). Edited by Angelina Ilieva and Vihra Baeva. Sofia: BAS Publishing House (Izdatelstvo na BAN), pp. 9–14. Available online: https://press.bas.bg/bg/eBooks-105/show-106(25) (accessed on 24 January 2023).
- Jin, Yan. 2009. The Effects of Public’s Cognitive Appraisal of Emotions in Crises on Crisis Coping and Strategy Assessment. Public Relations Review 35: 310–13. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Krueger, Richard, and Mary Anne Casey. 2000. Focus Groups: A Practical Guide for Applied Research, 4th ed. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications Inc. [Google Scholar]
- Krumova, Teodora, and Deyan Kolev. 2021. Spotlight on Voices from the Community: The Distance Learning in Bulgaria over the Past School Year: What Has Happened During the COVID-19 Pandemic. International Journal of Roma Studies 3: 322–34. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Kušen, Ema, and Mark Strembeck. 2021. “Evacuate Everyone South of that Line” Analyzing Structural Communication Patterns during Natural Disasters. Journal of Computational Social Science 4: 531–65. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Maeva, Mila. 2022. Family Well-Being During the COVID-19 Pandemic in Bulgaria. Psychological Research (in the Balkans) 25: 128–37. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Marinova, Evgeniya. 2020. The Prosecutor’s Office: Immediately Put Bansko under Quarantine. [Prokuraturata: Nezabavno da se postavi pod karantina Bansko]. Available online: https://www.investor.bg/a/5-balgariya/300557-prokuraturata-nezabavno-da-se-postavi-pod-karantina-bansko (accessed on 25 January 2023).
- Marushiakova, Elena, and Veselin Popov. 1993. Gypsies in Bulgaria. [Tsiganite v Bulgaria]. Sofia: Klub 90. [Google Scholar]
- Media and Online Narratives, Fake News and Trends for Misinformation Concerning the Roma in Bulgaria. 2020. [Mediyni i onlayn narativi, falshivi novini i tendentsii za dezinformatsiya, zasyagashti romite v Balgaria]. Available online: https://csd.bg/fileadmin/user_upload/publications_library/files/2020_12/CARE_FOR_TRUTH_BG_WEB.pdf (accessed on 14 January 2023).
- National Statistical Institute (NSI). n.d. Population by Statistical Regions, Districts, Municipalities, Localities, Sex and Age. Available online: https://infostat.nsi.bg/infostat/pages/reports/result.jsf?x_2=1962 (accessed on 25 January 2023).
- NSI-2. n.d. Available online: https://infostat.nsi.bg/infostat/pages/reports/result.jsf?x_2=1962 (accessed on 25 January 2023).
- OFFnews. 2020. The Tests in Bansko, Day 1: Only 3.37% Are Immune, the Sick—Even Less. [Testovete v Bansko, den 1: Edva 3.37% sa s imunitet, bolnite—Oshte po-malko]. Available online: https://offnews.bg/obshtestvo/testovete-v-bansko-den-1-edva-3-37-sa-s-imunitet-bolnite-oshte-p-726408.html (accessed on 25 January 2023).
- Oliver-Smith, Anthony. 1977. Disaster Rehabilitation and Social Change in Yungay, Peru. Human Organization 36: 491–509. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Oliver-Smith, Anthony. 1996. Anthropological Research on Hazards and Disasters. Annual Review of Antropology 25: 303–28. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Oliver-Smith, Anthony. 2002. Theorizing Disasters: Nature, Power, and Culture. In Catastrophe & Culture: The Anthropology of Disaster. Edited by Susanna Hoffman and Anthony Oliver-Smith. Santa Fe: School of American Research Press, pp. 23–48. [Google Scholar]
- Oliver-Smith, Anthony. 2005. Communities after Catastrophe. Reconstructing the Material, Reconstituting the Social. In Community Building in the Twenty-First Century. Edited by Stanley Hyland. Santa Fe: School of American Research Press, pp. 45–70. [Google Scholar]
- Order of the Minister of Health 1 No RD 01-124/13 March 2020. 2020. Available online: https://www.mh.government.bg/bg/novini/aktualno/ss-zapoved-na-zdravniya-ministr-na-teritoriyata-na/ (accessed on 25 January 2023).
- Order of the Minister of Health 1 No RD-01-217/14 April 2020. 2020. Available online: https://www.mh.government.bg/bg/novini/aktualno/ss-zapoved-na-zdravniya-ministr-na-panicherevo/ (accessed on 23 January 2023).
- Perry, Ronald, and Alvin Mushkatell. 2006. Minority Citizens in Disasters. Athens and London: The University of Georgia Press. [Google Scholar]
- Popov, Veselin. 1992. Preferred Ethnic Self-awareness among Gypsies in Bulgaria [Preferirano etnichesko samosaznanie pri tsiganite v Balgaria}. In Aspekti na Etnokulturnata Situatsiya v Balgariya i na Balkanite. Edited by Valeri Rusanov. Sofia: Access, pp. 86–99. [Google Scholar]
- Raycheva, Lilia. 2021. Communicating Challenges of COVID-19 to the Ageing Population. In Advances in Human Factors and Ergonomics in Healthcare and Medical Devices. AHFE 2021. Lecture Notes in Networks and Systems. Edited by Jay Kalra, Nancy J. Lightner and Redha Taiar. Cham: Springer, vol. 263. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Revet, Sandrine, and Julien Langumier. 2015. Introduction. In Governing Disasters. Beyond Risk Culture. Edited by Sandrine Revet and Julien Langumier. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 1–22. [Google Scholar]
- Ritchie, Liesel, and Duane Gill. 2021. Considering COVID-19 through the Lens of Hazard and Disaster Research. Social Sciences 10: 248. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Roma in Blagoevgrad Region [Tsiganite v Blagoevgradska oblast]. n.d. Available online: http://roma.swu.bg/BLGR.pdf (accessed on 19 January 2023).
- Schneider, William, Jane Waldfogel, and Jeanne Brooks-Gunn. 2017. The Great Recession and risk for child abuse and neglect. Children and Youth Services Review 72: 71–81. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed][Green Version]
- Simpson, Edward. 2012. The Anthropology of Aftermath. In The SAGE Handbook of Social Anthropology. Edited by Richard Fardon, Olivia Harris, Trevor H. J. Marchand, Mark Nuttall, Cris Shore, Veronica Strang and Richard A. Wilson. Thousand Oaks: SAGE, vol. 2, pp. 329–38. [Google Scholar]
- Stallings, Robert. 2007. Methodological Issues. In Handbook of Disaster Research. Edited by Havidán Rodríguez, Enrico Quarantelli and Russell R. Dynes. New York: Springer, pp. 55–82. [Google Scholar]
- Stanchev, Krassimir. 2021. Administrative Unfairness: The Case of Roma in Bulgaria. Public Policy 12: 15–32. Available online: https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:1662015/FULLTEXT01.pdf (accessed on 20 January 2023).
- Stewart, Kathleen, and Susan Harding. 1999. Bad Endings: American Apocalypsis. Annual Review of Anthropology 28: 285–310. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Strategy for Sustainable Development of Tourism in the Municipality of Bansko for the Period 2022–2027. 2022. Available online: https://bit.ly/3XWoXOY (accessed on 23 January 2023).
- Todorov, Krasimir. 2022. The Balance after the Covid Pandemic: We are Second in the World in Mortality per 1 million People. Fakti.bg—Let’s Bring the Facts to Light, November 25. Available online: https://fakti.bg/bulgaria/733722-ravnosmetkata-sled-kovid-pandemiata-vtori-sme-v-sveta-po-smartnost-na-1-milion-dushi(accessed on 17 January 2023).
- Tomova, Ilona, and Lyubomir Stoychev. 2022. Key Indicators of Social Inclusion and Fundamental Rights in Bulgaria. Thematic Report on the Situation of the Roma. [Osnovni pokazateli za sotsialno priobshtavane i osnovni prava v Balgaria. Tematichen doklad za polozhenieto na romite]. Available online: https://csd.bg/fileadmin/user_upload/publications_library/files/2020_12/CARE_FOR_TRUTH_BG_WEB.pdf (accessed on 19 January 2023).
- Tribune. 2022. Bansko Has Become an Incubator for Omicron, one in Five Has a Temperature, and the Ministry of Health is Silent. January 3. Available online: https://tribune.bg/bg/obshtestvo/bansko-stana-inkubator-za-omikron-vseki-peti-e-s-temperatura-a-mz-malchi/ (accessed on 22 January 2023).
- Tzaneva, Elya, Fang Sumei, and Edwin Schmitt, eds. 2012. Disasters and Cultural Stereotypes. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing. [Google Scholar]
- Tzaneva, Elya, Fang Sumei, and Lui Mingxin, eds. 2009. Disasters, Culture, Politics. Chinese-Bulgarian Anthropological Contribution to the Study of Critical Situations. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing. [Google Scholar]
- Tzaneva, Elya, Mila Maeva, and Yelis Erolova, eds. 2023. Disasters and the Quality of Life. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing. [Google Scholar]
- USA Report. 2021. 2021 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices: Bulgaria. Available online: https://www.state.gov/reports/2021-country-reports-on-human-rights-practices/bulgaria?fbclid=IwAR0cgr_bcIKdtaRtvdz5ED5MYpqSa-g2HMPJeQGOwBe3ThvhjhIj-OpN-8o (accessed on 14 January 2023).
- Wilder, Julius. 2021. The Disproportionate Impact of COVID-19 on Racial and Ethnic Minorities in the United States. Clinical Infectious Diseases 72: 707–9. Available online: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32648581/ (accessed on 16 March 2021).
- Willis, Craig. 2020. Economic Effects of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Roma Communities in Albania, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Moldova, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia and Ukraine. European Centre for Minority 122: 1–27. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Wisner, Ben, Piers Blaikie, Terry Cannon, and Ian Davis, eds. 2005. At Risk: Natural Hazards, People’s Vulnerability and Disasters, 2nd ed. London: Routhledge. [Google Scholar]
Disclaimer/Publisher’s Note: The statements, opinions and data contained in all publications are solely those of the individual author(s) and contributor(s) and not of MDPI and/or the editor(s). MDPI and/or the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to people or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content.
© 2023 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Maeva, M.; Erolova, Y. Bulgarian Roma at the Dawn of the COVID-19 Pandemic. Soc. Sci. 2023, 12, 208. https://doi.org/10.3390/socsci12040208
Maeva M, Erolova Y. Bulgarian Roma at the Dawn of the COVID-19 Pandemic. Social Sciences. 2023; 12(4):208. https://doi.org/10.3390/socsci12040208Chicago/Turabian Style
Maeva, Mila, and Yelis Erolova. 2023. "Bulgarian Roma at the Dawn of the COVID-19 Pandemic" Social Sciences 12, no. 4: 208. https://doi.org/10.3390/socsci12040208