Educating at the Nexus of the Physical and Environmental
To educate on the nexus of the physical and environmental  becomes increasingly important given the many challenges faced on the physical environmental level. Some studies exist on attitudes of environmental education in physical education  the contributions of physical education to environmental education [3-6], the contribution of environmental education to physical education [7-10], the coverage of environmental education in Physical Education related journals , the relationship between Environmental Education, Education for Sustainable Development and Physical Education [12,13] integrating environmental education issues in physical education curriculum to achieve sustainable educational goals . There is also the nexus between physical activity and environmental education [15-17], physical activity and sustainability [17-21], physical activity through the lens of sustainability development [22,23], physical activity and the sustainable development goals , physical education and sustainable development goals [21,25-36]. Studies also look at the nexus of environmental policies including the built environment and physical activity and excercise [37-53], the issue of walkability as an environmental policy and physical activity [54-59], walkability and physical education [55,60] and walkability and sustainability. However, there is a lot of space for further theoretical, review and empirical engagement with all the intersections especially in the context of education. Interestingly there seems to be no studies that looked at the impact of environmental activism on physical education or physical activity and coverage of the physical impact of environmental activism as a topic in environmental education.
This Topic area covers submission types covered by the participating journals that cover the intersection of the physical with the environmental through on educational lens.
- Riley, K.; Proctor, L. A physical education/environmental education nexus: Transdisciplinary approaches to curriculum for a sense of belonging. Australian Journal of Environmental Education 2021, 10.1017/aee.2021.29, doi:10.1017/aee.2021.29.
- Baena-Extremera, A.; Granero-Gallegos, A. Quasi-experimental study on attitudes of environmental education in physical education. Cultura, Ciencia y Deporte 2014, 9, 25-33, doi:10.12800/ccd.v9i25.386.
- BetrÁN, J.O. Escenaris i ambients de l'educació física. / Scenarios and Environments for Physical Education. Apunts: Educació Física i Esports 2011, 5-8.
- Heck, D. The State of Environmental Education in the Australian School Curriculum. Australian Journal of Environmental Education 2003, 19, 115-124, doi:10.1017/S081406260000152X.
- Hernandez, C.R.A. Social representations of environmental education in physical education classes of students and teachers of educational establishments of the IX region of Araucania, Chile. Retos-Nuevas Tendencias En Educacion Fisica Deporte Y Recreacion 2022, 485-495.
- International Conference on Sustainability Management. In Proceedings of 2020 International Conference on Sustainability Management, ICSM 2020, January 15, 2020 - January 17, 2020, Bangkok, Thailand; pp. CSU Channel Islands Camarillo, CA; Ding Li Education Group; International Center for Organization and Innovation Studies (ICOIS); Krirk University; Liaoning University.
- dos Santos, R.M.; Keim, E.J.; Domingues, S.C. ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION AN EMANCIPATORY PROPOSAL IN SCHOOL PHYSICAL EDUCATION. Dialogia 2021, 10.5585/38.2021.18614, doi:10.5585/38.2021.18614.
- Huang, Y.; Reynoso, L.C. Based on physical self-concept to discuss the effect of environmental education on health-related physical education. Ekoloji 2018, 27, 1645-1651.
- Karrow, D.D.; Digiuseppe, M.; Fazio, X.E. Teasing through a "Rhetoric of Integration": Moving Environmental Education from the Margins to the Mainstream. AERA Online Paper Repository: 2016.
- Neto, J.D.S.; Rocha, A.M. ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION PRACTICES IN THE TRAINING OF PHYSICAL EDUCATION TEACHERS. Educacion Fisica Y Deporte 2018, 37, 121-154, doi:10.17533/udea.efyd.v37n2a02.
- De Paula Figueiredo, J.; Schwartz, G.M. Adventure activities and environmental education in Physical Education journals. Motriz. Revista de Educacao Fisica 2013, 19, 467-479, doi:10.1590/s1980-65742013000200024.
- Osborne, R.; Batista, W.A. Physical education in the decade of education for sustainable development. Motriz. Revista de Educacao Fisica 2010, 16, 28-36.
- Osborne, R. Physical education in the decade of education for sustainable development: a study with Brazilian physical education teachers and educators. Human Movement 2012, 13, 280-287.
- Yuan, W.; Shih, K.T.; Lin, C.J. Research on the Integration of Inquiry-based Approach into the Environmental Education of Sustainable Development. In Proceedings of IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science.
- Barlow, J. One Foot after the Other. Alternatives Journal (AJ) - Canada's Environmental Voice 2005, 31, 7-7.
- Martin, J.; Mathews, J.; Jan, M.; Holden, C. Restructuring activity and place: Augmented reality games on handhelds. In Proceedings of International Perspectives in the Learning Sciences: Cre8ing a Learning World - 8th International Conference for the Learning Sciences, ICLS 2008, June 23, 2008 - June 28, 2008, Utrecht, Netherlands; pp. 35-42.
- Santos-Pastor, M.L.; Ruiz-Montero, P.J.; Chiva-Bartoll, O.; Baena-Extremera, A.; Martínez-Muñoz, L.F. Environmental Education in Initial Training: Effects of a Physical Activities and Sports in the Natural Environment Program for Sustainable Development. Front. Psychol. 2022, 13, doi:10.3389/fpsyg.2022.867899.
- Clopton, A.W. Sustaining the Physical Activity Effort. Strategies (08924562) 2012, 25, 36-37, doi:10.1080/08924562.2012.10592172.
- Rohana, A.J.; Aiba, N.; Yoshiike, N.; Miyoshi, M. Japan for sustainability in health through a new movement of food and nutrition education 'Shokuiku'. Int. Med. J. 2011, 18, 21-28.
- Puciato, D.; Rozpara, M. Physical Activity of Male and Female University Students as a Manifestation of Sustainable Development. In World Sustainability Series, 2021; 10.1007/978-3-030-59820-4_6pp 85-94.
- Baena-Morales, S.; Ferriz-Valero, A.; Campillo-Sánchez, J.; González-Víllora, S. Sustainability awareness of in-service physical education teachers. Education Sciences 2021, 11, doi:10.3390/educsci11120798.
- Lake, J.R.; Stratton, G.; Martin, D.; Money, M. Physical education and sustainable development: An untrodden path. Quest 2001, 53, 471-482, doi:10.1080/00336297.2001.10491759.
- Posso Pacheco, R.J.; Cóndor Chicaiza, M.G.; Cóndor Chicaiza, J.R.; Núñez Sotomayor, L.F.X. Sustainable environmental development: a new approach to physical education for post-pandemic in Ecuador. Revista Venezolana de Gerencia 2022, 27, 464-478, doi:10.52080/rvgluz.27.98.6.
- Macassa, G. Can sustainable health behaviour contribute to ensuring healthy lives and well-being for all at all ages (SDG 3)? A viewpoint. Journal of Public Health Research 2021, 10, doi:10.4081/jphr.2021.2051.
- Baena-Morales, S.; Merma-Molina, G.; Gavilán-Martín, D. What do Physical Education teachers know about the Sustainable Development Goals? A qualitative-exploratory study. Retos 2021, 42, 452-463, doi:10.47197/RETOS.V42I0.87724.
- Baena-Morales, S.; Urrea-Solano, M.; Gavilán-Martin, D.; Ferriz-Valero, A. Development and validation of an instrument to assess the level of sustainable competencies in future physical education teachers. PESD-FT questionnaire. Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education 2022, 10.1108/JARHE-09-2021-0330, doi:10.1108/JARHE-09-2021-0330.
- Burnett, C. From policy to practice for school sport: Lessons from South Africa. Journal of Physical Education and Sport 2020, 20, 1754-1761, doi:10.7752/jpes.2020.04238.
- Burnett, C. Key findings of a national study on school sport and physical education in South African public schools. South African Journal for Research in Sport, Physical Education and Recreation 2020, 42, 43-60.
- Dudley, D.; Cairney, J. Physical literacy: Answering the call for quality education and sustainable development. Prospects 2021, 50, 5-11, doi:10.1007/s11125-020-09512-y.
- Fröberg, A.; Lundvall, S. The distinct role of physical education in the context of agenda 2030 and sustainable development goals: An explorative review and suggestions for future work. Sustainability (Switzerland) 2021, 13, doi:10.3390/su132111900.
- García-Rico, L.; Martínez-Muñoz, L.F.; Santos-Pastor, M.L.; Chiva- Bartoll, O. Service-learning in physical education teacher education: a pedagogical model towards sustainable development goals. International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education 2021, 22, 747-765, doi:10.1108/IJSHE-09-2020-0325.
- Lohmann, J.; Breithecker, J.; Ohl, U.; Giess-Stueber, P.; Brandl-Bredenbeck, H.P. Teachers' Professional Action Competence in Education for Sustainable Development: A Systematic Review from the Perspective of Physical Education. Sustainability 2021, 13, doi:10.3390/su132313343.
- Lynch, T. United nations sustainable development goals: Promoting health and well-being through physical education partnerships. Cogent Education 2016, 3, doi:10.1080/2331186X.2016.1188469.
- Savelyeva, I.P.; Danilova, I.V.; Karpushkina, A.V.; Kilina, I.P. Physical activity, health and environment among the priorities of sustainable development of the regions. Human Sport Medicine 2021, 21, 141-152, doi:10.14529/hsm21s122.
- Yermilova, V.V.; Murtazina, G.H. Outreach of sustainable development principles in physical culture and sports. Asia Life Sciences 2019, 139-157.
- Yevtuch, M.B.; Fedorets, V.M.; Klochko, O.V.; Kravets, N.P.; Branitska, T.R. Ecological and axiological reflection of the concept of sustainable development as a basis for the health-preserving competence of a physical education teacher. In Proceedings of 2nd International Conference on History, Theory and Methodology of Learning (ICHTML), Kryvyi Rih, UKRAINE, May 12-14.
- Young, D.R.; He, X.; Harris, J.; Mabry, I. Environmental, policy, and cultural factors related to physical activity in well-educated urban African American women. Women Health 2002, 36, 29-41, doi:10.1300/J013v36n02_03.
- Rowinski, R.; Dabrowski, A.; Kostka, T. Gardening as the dominant leisure time physical activity (LTPA) of older adults from a post-communist country. The results of the population-based PolSenior Project from Poland. Arch. Gerontol. Geriatr. 2015, 60, 486-491, doi:10.1016/j.archger.2015.01.011.
- Parra, D.; Gomez, L.; Pratt, M.; Sarmiento, O.L.; Mosquera, J.; Triche, E. Policy and built environment changes in Bogotá and their importance in health promotion. Indoor Built Environ. 2007, 16, 344-348, doi:10.1177/1420326X07080462.
- Mohajeri, N.; Symonds, P.; Milner, J.; Aplin, J.; Hale, J.; J Lloyd, S.; Fremont, H.; Younkin, S.; Shrubsole, C.; Robertson, L., et al. A tool for assessing the climate change mitigation and health impacts of environmental policies: The Cities Rapid Assessment Framework for Transformation (CRAFT). Wellcome Open Research 2021, 5, doi:10.12688/wellcomeopenres.16345.2.
- Mattingly, J.A.; Andresen, P.A. NAP SACC: Implementation of an Obesity Prevention Intervention in an American Indian Head Start Program. J. Community Health Nurs. 2016, 33, 145-153, doi:10.1080/07370016.2016.1191871.
- Kouthouris, C.; Zafeiroudi, A.; Georgomanos, S.; Kontogianni, E. Enhancing active living and physical exercise through environmentally friendly policies in urban areas. Physical Culture and Sport, Studies and Research 2021, 91, 47-58, doi:10.2478/pcssr-2021-0018.
- Downs, A. Physically Active Adults: An Analysis of the Key Variables That Keep Them Moving. Am. J. Health Ed. 2016, 47, 299-308, doi:10.1080/19325037.2016.1203837.
- Andersen, F.M.; Grinderslev, D.; Werner, M. Environmental satellite models for a macroeconomic model. Environ. Resource Econ. 2003, 24, 197-212, doi:10.1023/A:1022912308154.
- Aarts, M.J.; Schuit, A.J.; van de Goor, I.A.M.; van Oers, H.A.M. Feasibility of multi-sector policy measures that create activity-friendly environments for children: Results of a Delphi study. Implementation Science 2011, 6, doi:10.1186/1748-5908-6-128.
- Zanwar, P.; Kim, J.; Kim, J.; Manser, M.; Ham, Y.; Chaspari, T.; Ahn, C.R. Use of Connected Technologies to Assess Barriers and Stressors for Age and Disability-Friendly Communities. Frontiers in Public Health 2021, 9, doi:10.3389/fpubh.2021.578832.
- Van Cauwenberg, J.; Nathan, A.; Barnett, A.; Barnett, D.W.; Cerin, E.; the Council on, E.; Physical Activity -Older Adults Working, G. Relationships Between Neighbourhood Physical Environmental Attributes and Older Adults’ Leisure-Time Physical Activity: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Sports Med. 2018, 48, 1635-1660, doi:10.1007/s40279-018-0917-1.
- Ulijaszek, S. Physical activity and the human body in the (increasingly smart) built environment. Obes. Rev. 2018, 19, 84-93, doi:10.1111/obr.12790.
- Nordbø, E.C.A.; Nordh, H.; Raanaas, R.K.; Aamodt, G. Promoting activity participation and well-being among children and adolescents: A systematic review of neighborhood built-environment determinants. JBI Evidence Synthesis 2020, 18, 370-458, doi:10.11124/JBISRIR-D-19-0005.
- Dixon, B.N.; Ugwoaba, U.A.; Brockmann, A.N.; Ross, K.M. Associations between the built environment and dietary intake, physical activity, and obesity: A scoping review of reviews. Obes. Rev. 2021, 22, doi:10.1111/obr.13171.
- Christie, C.D.; Consoli, A.; Ronksley, P.E.; Vena, J.E.; Friedenreich, C.M.; McCormack, G.R. Associations between the built environment and physical activity among adults with low socio-economic status in Canada: a systematic review. Can. J. Public Health 2021, 112, 152-165, doi:10.17269/s41997-020-00364-9.
- Bonaccorsi, G.; Manzi, F.; Del Riccio, M.; Setola, N.; Naldi, E.; Milani, C.; Giorgetti, D.; Dellisanti, C.; Lorini, C. Impact of the built environment and the neighborhood in promoting the physical activity and the healthy aging in older people: An umbrella review. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 2020, 17, 1-27, doi:10.3390/ijerph17176127.
- Adjei-Boadi, D.; Agyei-Mensah, S.; Adamkiewicz, G.; Rodriguez, J.I.; Gemmell, E.; Ezzati, M.; Baumgartner, J.; Owusu, G. Neighbourhood, built environment and children's outdoor play spaces in urban Ghana: Review of policies and challenges. Landscape Urban Plann. 2022, 218, doi:10.1016/j.landurbplan.2021.104288.
- Ball, K.; Bauman, A.; Leslie, E.; Owen, N. Perceived environmental aesthetics and convenience and company are associated with walking for exercise among Australian adults. Prev. Med. 2001, 33, 434-440, doi:10.1006/pmed.2001.0912.
- Hermosillo-Gallardo, M.E.; Sebire, S.J.; Jago, R. Perception of Safety and Its Association With Physical Activity in Adolescents in Mexico. Am. J. Prev. Med. 2020, 58, 748-755, doi:10.1016/j.amepre.2019.12.007.
- Hilland, T.A.; Bourke, M.; Wiesner, G.; Garcia Bengoechea, E.; Parker, A.G.; Pascoe, M.; Craike, M. Correlates of walking among disadvantaged groups: A systematic review. Health and Place 2020, 63, doi:10.1016/j.healthplace.2020.102337.
- Gray, J.A.; Zimmerman, J.L.; Rimmer, J.H. Built environment instruments for walkability, bikeability, and recreation: Disability and universal design relevant? Disability and Health Journal 2012, 5, 87-101, doi:10.1016/j.dhjo.2011.12.002.
- Giles, L.V.; Koehle, M.S.; Saelens, B.E.; Sbihi, H.; Carlsten, C. When physical activity meets the physical environment: precision health insights from the intersection. Environmental Health and Preventive Medicine 2021, 26, doi:10.1186/s12199-021-00990-w.
- Fonseca, F.; Ribeiro, P.J.G.; Conticelli, E.; Jabbari, M.; Papageorgiou, G.; Tondelli, S.; Ramos, R.A.R. Built environment attributes and their influence on walkability. International Journal of Sustainable Transportation 2021, 10.1080/15568318.2021.1914793, doi:10.1080/15568318.2021.1914793.
- Hobin, E.; Leatherdale, S.; Manske, S.; Dubin, J.; Elliott, S.; Veugelers, P. A multilevel examination of factors of the school environment and time spent in moderate to vigorous physical activity among a sample of secondary school students in grades 9-12 in Ontario, Canada. International Journal of Public Health 2012, 57, 699-709, doi:10.1007/s00038-012-0336-2.
Prof. Dr. Gregor Wolbring
Dr. Dunja Anđić
|Journal Name||Impact Factor||CiteScore||Launched Year||First Decision (median)||APC|
|3.0||4.0||2011||21.6 Days||CHF 1400||Submit|
|2.1||2.3||2011||24.3 Days||CHF 1400||Submit|
|2.7||5.2||2013||18 Days||CHF 1600||Submit|
|3.9||5.8||2009||18.3 Days||CHF 2400||Submit|
Preprints is a platform dedicated to making early versions of research outputs permanently available and citable. MDPI journals allow posting on preprint servers such as Preprints.org prior to publication. For more details about reprints, please visit https://www.preprints.org.