Special Issue "Antihypertensive Drugs"
A special issue of Pharmaceuticals (ISSN 1424-8247).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (30 November 2009) | Viewed by 195332
Interests: pathophysiology; clinical pharmacology and therapy of hypertension; congestive heart failure and other cardiovascular diseases
Interests: cardiovascular disease; metabolic syndrome; diabetes
Special Issues, Collections and Topics in MDPI journals
Hypertension has not always been recognized as a harbinger of cardiovascular complications and premature death. Only 70 years ago, hypertension was considered the body's adaptation to sclerotic blood vessel disease and essential to maintain organ perfusion; thus, treatment was regarded as undesirable. Epidemiologic studies have since established a strong linear relation between blood pressure and cardiovascular disease (CVD), and randomized trials have documented that blood pressure reductions by antihypertensive drugs confer cardiovascular protection, making the hypertension-related risk a reversible risk. There is now a consensus that blood pressure should be reduced to <140/90 mm Hg in all patients and that a more aggressive blood pressure target (<130/80 mm Hg) should be pursued in those in whom the cardiovascular risk is high. Despite this, blood pressure control remains elusive in most individuals in the hypertensive population, which makes improvement of blood pressure control in this population a priority goal. This goal may meet with new challenges, however. Optimal blood pressure control may have to include the measurement of blood pressure every day, given the fluctuations of blood pressure and their prognostic importance independent of and in addition to that of classically measured blood pressure values. This special issue of the journal will provide an up-to-date and comprehensive review of the drugs currently used in antihypertensive treatment.
Prof. Dr. Giuseppe Mancia
Prof. Dr. Guido Grassi
- antihypertensive treatment
- angiotensin II receptor blockers
- calcium antagonists
- blood pressure control
- cardiovascular risk
- clinical trials
- Phytochemicals with actions on the Central Nervous System in Pharmaceuticals (4 articles)
- Neuroactive Compounds in Pharmaceuticals (2 articles)
- CNS-Drugs and Therapy in Pharmaceuticals (4 articles)
- NMDA Receptor Antagonists for Treatment of CNS Disorders in Pharmaceuticals (5 articles)
- Therapeutics Agents for Neural Repair in Pharmaceuticals (10 articles)
- Therapeutic Agents for Neurological Disorders in Pharmaceuticals (16 articles)
- Molecular and Cellular Targets of Old and New Atypical Antipsychotics in Pharmaceuticals (9 articles)