A section of Metabolites (ISSN 2218-1989).
Metabolomics within plant science involves the large-scale study of small molecules, also known as metabolites (polar and lipophilic primary metabolites, secondary metabolites, and volatiles), within plant tissues, inclusive of root, stem and leaf tissues, as well as grains/seeds and fruits. Plant metabolomics and volatilomics involve the identification and comparative (relative) or absolute quantification of the thousands of cellular metabolites or volatile metabolites and their interactions, applying LC-MS (MS/MS and multi stage MSn) to primary metabolites, lipids and secondary metabolites, GC-MS of volatiles (SPME and TD analysis) and primary metabolites (MOX-TMS derivatives), as well as 1D and 2D-NMR, analytical approaches.
Within the Plant Metabolism section, topics of interest include but are not limited to studies of:
- Plant, fruit and seed, development and physiology;
- Plant disease;
- Plant interactions with insects and rhizosphere microbes;
- Plant-derived natural products and waste stream valorisation;
- Nutrition in plant-derived foodstuffs.
Metabolites warmly welcomes submissions based on the application of metabolomics within plant science, from biological-based studies in the above-outlined areas, through to analytical method development, metabolite identification method development, MS and NMR imaging development, metabolite database and library development, and informatics and data workflow development in plant sciences.
Topical Advisory Panel
Following special issues within this section are currently open for submissions:
- The Role of Natural and Synthetic Antioxidants in Alzheimer’s Disease (Deadline: 5 October 2023)
- Identification and Therapeutic Properties of Secondary Metabolites of Medicinal Plants II (Deadline: 15 October 2023)
- Metabolomic Data Analysis in Plant Lipid Metabolism and Lipid Synthesis (Deadline: 31 October 2023)
- Crop Nutrition Metabolism and Cultivation Physiology (Deadline: 31 October 2023)
- Extraction, Characterization, Chemical Composition and Biological Activity of Natural Metabolites (Deadline: 31 October 2023)
- Natural Products: Chemical Profiling, Computational Studies and Bioactivities (Deadline: 31 October 2023)
- Valorization of Plant Extracts in the Pharmaceutical, Cosmetic and Pest Control Sectors: Trends and Advances (Deadline: 20 November 2023)
- Metabolic Adaptation in Plants (Deadline: 30 November 2023)
- Plant Hormone Regulation and Lipid Metabolism (Deadline: 20 December 2023)
- Metabolic Alterations and Gene Regulation in Plants under Stress (Deadline: 20 December 2023)
- Biomacromolecules in Algae: Metabolism, Regulation and Bioactivity (Deadline: 31 December 2023)
- Metabolic Responses to Abiotic Stress in Plants (Deadline: 31 December 2023)
- Identification of Secondary Metabolites by Multi-Omics Methods (Deadline: 31 December 2023)
- LC-MS/MS Analysis for Plant Secondary Metabolites (Deadline: 20 January 2024)
- Carbon and Nitrogen Metabolism in Trees (Deadline: 20 January 2024)
- Metabolic Responses of Plants to Abiotic Stress (Deadline: 31 January 2024)
- Effects of Biotic/Abiotic Stress on Plant Metabolism (Deadline: 15 February 2024)
- Progress in Metabolomic Analysis in Medicinal Plants (Deadline: 16 February 2024)
- Metabolomics and Plant Defence (Deadline: 15 March 2024)
- Functional Genome and Secondary Metabolome of Bast Fiber Crop (Deadline: 15 March 2024)
- Advances in Plant Metabolic Engineering (Deadline: 31 March 2024)
- Effect of Exogenous or Endogenous Regulatory Factors on Metabolic Responses of Plants to Biotic/Abiotic Stress (Deadline: 18 August 2024)