Journal Menu► ▼ Journal Menu
Journal Browser► ▼ Journal Browser
Special Issue "Advanced Membrane-based Technologies: Fabrication, Characterization, and Applications"
A special issue of Membranes (ISSN 2077-0375). This special issue belongs to the section "Membrane Applications".
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (5 April 2023) | Viewed by 5469
Special Issue Editors
Interests: wastewater treatment design and control; membrane filtration; greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions
2. Centre for Advanced Composite Materials, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Johor Bahru 81310, Malaysia
Interests: materials engineering (nanomaterials, nanocomposites, adsorbents, composite materials, and microporous and mesoporous materials)
Interests: polymer engineering; material engineering; natural fibers; bio-composites; nanocomposites
Special Issues, Collections and Topics in MDPI journals
Special Issue in Polymers: Current Progress in Biopolymer-Based Bionanocomposites and Hybrid Materials
Special Issue in Polymers: Advanced Hybrid Composite Materials for Engineering and Biomedical Applications
Special Issue in Polymers: Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composites: Mechanical Properties and Applications
Special Issue in Forests: Lignocellulosic Fiber-Based Composites
Special Issue in Sustainability: Advances in Sustainable Nanocomposites
Special Issue in Materials: Valorization of Lignocellulosic Biomass for Functional Materials
Special Issue Information
This Special Issue entitled “Advanced Membranes-based Technologies: Fabrication, Characterization, and Applications” presents the recent research activities concerning the challenging field of modern membrane science and technology, which addresses global human problems, such as environmental safety and the development of innovative, low-cost, and friendly membrane technologies. This Special Issue covers innovative membrane materials, from their synthesis to characterization and practical applications. This Special Issue covers strategies for the synthesis of porous and dense membrane materials for a variety of membrane processes (membrane contactors, membrane distillation, pervaporation, ultrafiltration, microfiltration, nanofiltration, reverse osmosis, forward osmosis, gas and liquid separation, etc.), including the effect of the synthesis and structures of the resultant materials, which influence their real performance. The range of practical uses for membrane materials is extensive, ranging from the treatment of wastewater to special task-targeted applications in environmental monitoring, semiconductor, and biomedical research. Characterizations of membrane materials via diverse physicochemical methods (liquid and gas permeability, X-ray analysis, IR spectroscopy, NMR, and EPR), thermal methods (DSC, TGA, and DMA), and morphological methods (AFM, SEM, TEM, and FESEM) are also included. The challenges related to the modification of membrane materials and the suitability of their applications are also addressed in this work.
This Special Issue on “Advanced Membrane-based Technologies: Synthesis, Characterization, and Application” will present updated information on this subject for academic researchers, scholars, and technologists interested in all aspects of membrane science, from technology to task-oriented applications of membrane materials. Original research articles and reviews on advanced membrane technologies are welcome.
The main topics include (but are not limited to):
- Synthesis of diverse advanced membrane materials, including composite/nanocomposite membrane materials with functional additives.
- Structure and morphology of membrane materials.
- Correlation between the synthesis conditions and structure of membrane materials.
- Characterization of membrane materials via diverse physicochemical methods (liquid and gas permeability, X-ray analysis, IR spectroscopy, NMR, and EPR), thermal methods (DSC, TGA, and DMA), and morphological methods (AFM, SEM, TEM, and FESEM).
- Membrane materials’ performance (gas and liquid permeability, selectivity, water vapor transmission rate, oil permeability, sorption, stability, ecological aspects, etc.).
- Membrane material applications (petroleum refining, mining and metal processes, paint, adhesive, and solvent recovery, semiconductors, membrane contactors, distillation, ultrafiltration, microfiltration, nanofiltration, reverse osmosis, forward osmosis, catalytic membranes, selective membranes, gas separation membranes, wastewater treatment, metal removal and treatment, biochemical processes, biomedical applications, breathable materials, scaffolds, separators, food packing, etc.).
Dr. Nur Hafizah Ab Hamid
Dr. Faten Ermala Che Othman
Dr. Rushdan Ahmad Ilyas
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All submissions that pass pre-check are peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Membranes is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 2200 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- synthesis of membrane materials
- characterization of membranes
- applications of membranes
- gas and liquid separation
- membrane hybrid systems
- membrane technology
- water purification
- composite/nanocomposite membranes
- wastewater treatment
- heavy metal removal