Obstetrics and Gynecology
A section of Medicina (ISSN 1648-9144).
“Obstetrics and Gynecology” is a medical specialty that includes two different subspecialties devoted to the medical and surgical care of the female reproductive system and associated disorders. Obstetrics covers pregnancy, delivery, and the postpartum period (maternal–fetal medicine). Gynecology covers benign and malignant diseases of the vagina, uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries, and also includes the diagnosis and treatment of infertility, family planning (including contraception and pregnancy termination), sexual medicine, pediatric and adolescent gynecology, and menopausal gynecology. Most obstetrician–gynecologists are generalists and see a variety of medical conditions in the office, perform surgery, and manage labor and delivery. These physicians usually perform both diagnostic procedures (not only by office ultrasound but also by hysteroscopy or colposcopy) and treatments (either medical or surgical). As a consequence, obstetrician–gynecologists require both a broad field of knowledge and procedural skills.
Some obstetrician–gynecologists develop an interest in one of the following fields: gynecologic oncology, reproductive endocrinology and infertility, maternal fetal medicine, and female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery.
The section “Obstetrics and Gynecology” of the journal Medicina is devoted to the propagation of novel findings and state-of-the-art knowledge in the field of obstetrics and gynecology. Its primary aim is to advance the knowledge of high-quality care.
- obstetrics ultrasonography
- gynecological imaging
- gynecological surgery
- gynecological oncology
- family planning
- sexual medicine
- adolescent gynecology
- maternal–fetal medicine
Following special issues within this section are currently open for submissions:
- Maternal and Perinatal Outcomes in High and Low Risk Pregnancies (Deadline: 30 September 2023)
- Latest Advances in Uterus Transplantation (Deadline: 1 October 2023)
- Effects of Abdominal Hysterectomy on Gynecological Patients (Deadline: 20 October 2023)
- New Perspectives on “OMIC” Strategy in Normal and Pathological Pregnancies (Deadline: 25 October 2023)
- In Vitro Fertilization Technology and Child Health: Risks, Mechanisms and Possible Consequences (Deadline: 31 October 2023)
- Effective Treatments of Constipation in Pregnancy (Deadline: 20 November 2023)
- New Insights and Perspectives in Minimally Invasive Gynecology: Part II (Deadline: 25 November 2023)
- High-Risk Pregnancy - Series II (Deadline: 15 December 2023)
- New Advances in Gynecological Surgery: Part II (Deadline: 20 December 2023)
- Recent Advances in Preeclampsia and Fetal Growth Restriction (Deadline: 31 December 2023)
- Modern Trends in Obstetrics and Gynecology (Deadline: 31 December 2023)
- Prenatal Diagnosis, Management and Postnatal Outcome in Fetuses (Deadline: 1 January 2024)
- Diagnosis, Evaluation, and Management of Diseases during Pregnancy: Part II (Deadline: 20 January 2024)
- New Advances in Female Pelvic Floor Dysfunctions Management: 2nd Edition (Deadline: 15 February 2024)
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Gynecological Diseases (Deadline: 20 February 2024)
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Endometriosis: Priorities, Advances and Challenges (Deadline: 15 March 2024)
- Uterine Smooth-Muscle Tumors (Deadline: 31 March 2024)
- Addressing the Right Strategy in the Treatment of Gynecological Diseases (Deadline: 31 March 2024)