Special Issue "Degree Apprenticeships"

A special issue of Trends in Higher Education (ISSN 2813-4346).

Deadline for manuscript submissions: 29 November 2024 | Viewed by 148

Special Issue Editors

Department of Computer Science, University of Warwick, Coventry CV4 7AL, UK
Interests: educational technology; computer science education; higher education; mobile learning
Special Issues, Collections and Topics in MDPI journals
Prof. Dr. Jane Sinclair
E-Mail Website
Guest Editor
Department of Computer Science, University of Warwick, Coventry CV4 7AL, UK
Interests: computer science education; higher education; formal methods
Dr. Claire Rocks
E-Mail Website
Guest Editor
Department of Computer Science, University of Warwick, Coventry CV4 7AL, UK
Interests: computer science education; educational technology; higher education

Special Issue Information

Dear Colleagues,

A Degree Apprenticeship is a partnership between a university and a company, in which the company provides full-time employment for a student for 80% of their time. The university delivers teaching for the remaining 20% of the student’s time, concentrated during (typically) intensive weeks / fortnights, or delivered online. The novelty is the integration of academic material with the student’s employment (such as through project work, learning journals, professional portfolios of evidence, and point assessments).

A Degree Apprenticeship is not a “sandwich” course, and the duration of the apprenticeship is the same as that of a full time student.

Degree Apprenticeships have been promoted in England and Wales, although similar models of programmed delivery exist elsewhere. For example, in Scotland they are known as Graduate Apprenticeships.

In this Special Issue, original research articles and reviews are welcome. Research areas may include (but are not limited to) the following in the context of Degree Apprenticeships. We also welcome submissions related to other collaborative models for university degrees.

  • Curriculum design
  • Integration with full time degree programs
  • Pedagogy and practical issues related to a particular discipline
  • Student experience
  • Quality assurance
  • Intellectual property
  • Ethics
  • Financial and administrative matters
  • Governance

We look forward to receiving your contributions.

Prof. Dr. Mike Joy
Prof. Dr. Jane Sinclair
Dr. Claire Rocks
Guest Editors

Manuscript Submission Information

Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All submissions that pass pre-check are peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.

Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Trends in Higher Education is an international peer-reviewed open access quarterly journal published by MDPI.

Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1000 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.


  • degree apprenticeships
  • higher education
  • employment

Published Papers

This special issue is now open for submission.
Back to TopTop