Nutraceuticals, Functional Foods, and Novel Foods
A section of Foods (ISSN 2304-8158).
Papers that qualify for the “Nutraceuticals, Functional Foods, and Novel Foods” Section are expected to be studies focusing mainly on nutritional, functional, and nutraceutical topics. Broadly, the categories include research focusing on the study of nutraceuticals (phytocomplexes of vegetal origin, or pools of active secondary metabolites when originating from an animal matrix) as well as active compounds present in vegetal- and animal-origin matrices (foods, byproduct recovery, waste recovery and reuse with a view to sustainability, botanicals, and natural products), in the form of extracts, pure compounds, or mixtures.
The study of nutraceuticals and functional foods should cover physical and chemical properties, their formulation, identification, and quantification in foods, vegetal matrices, products thereof, waste recovery and possible reuse as supplements/nutraceuticals, food supplements, functional preparations, complex food matrices, natural products, studies in vitro, in cells, and in animals, and the mechanisms of action of food supplements and nutraceuticals in humans, substantiating their beneficial effects on health conditions, including their bioavailability and beneficial impacts on health.
This Section also includes novel foods, which represent an emerging area in the framework of foods and are a challenge for academia, industry, and consumers. Novel foods include foods and ingredients that have not been used significantly prior to a specific date, depending on local food regulations.
Their study and evaluation impact, but not limited to, the following: genetically modified foods, foods new to a particular region of the world, foods processed using a new technology or novel production processes, newly developed and innovative food, newly produced nutrients, extracts from existing food, or food consumed as part of the diet in different parts of the world and which qualify to be used as food and part of the diet for their specific characteristics according to current local and international regulations and safety regulations.
Of utmost importance are the safety and nutritional quality of food and novel foods. It is also essential that authors address the impact of the regulatory aspects of nutraceuticals and functional as well as novel foods.
In conclusion, papers should be innovative in the approach or methods used. The significance of the results for the science community or food industry applications should also trigger the reader’s interest in the comprehensive framework of Foods.
- Nutraceuticals and their impact.
- Functional foods.
- Food supplements.
- Novel foods.
- Sensorial perception.
- Phytocomplexes, their properties, and extraction.
- The pool of secondary metabolites and their action.
- New dietary ingredients and formulations.
- Food and health: prevention through medicinal food and supplements.
- Clinical data supporting the efficacy of nutraceuticals.
- Novel foods' uses and applications.
- In vitro and in vivo data.
- Therapeutic beneficial effects of nutraceuticals and functional foods.
- Mechanisms of action and impact.
- Food contaminants and safety.
- Regulatory aspects of novel foods, functional foods, supplements, and nutraceuticals.
- Clinical tests that substantiate effects and mechanisms of action.
- Formulation and nanoformulation.
- Analytical aspects and new approaches.
Topical Advisory Panel
Following special issues within this section are currently open for submissions:
- Natural Compounds Extracted from Foods and Their Health Benefits (Deadline: 30 September 2023)
- Carbohydrates and Intestinal Health (Deadline: 30 September 2023)
- The Health Benefits of Food-Derived Bioactive Ingredients (Deadline: 5 October 2023)
- Research Progress on Processing of Seafood and Function of Its Bioactive Ingredients (Deadline: 15 October 2023)
- Natural Bioactive Compounds from Fruits and Vegetables: Extraction Technologies, Physicochemical Properties and Health Benefits (Deadline: 15 October 2023)
- Mediterranean Diet: Promoting Health and Sustainability (Deadline: 20 October 2023)
- Advances in Encapsulation and Controlled Release of Food Bioactive Components (Deadline: 20 October 2023)
- Potential and Challenges of Plant-Based Bioactive Compounds as Functional Food Ingredients (Deadline: 25 October 2023)
- Development of Functional and Fortified Foods (Deadline: 31 October 2023)
- New Insights into Nutraceuticals in the Prevention of Metabolic Syndrome (Deadline: 31 October 2023)
- Advances in Bioactive Compounds from Food on Human Health (Deadline: 31 October 2023)
- Sensory Evaluation and Physicochemical Characterization of New Functional Food (Deadline: 10 November 2023)
- Functional Properties of Food Source Probiotics (Deadline: 10 November 2023)
- Bioactive Compounds in Foods: Functional Properties, Health Benefits and Disease Prevention (Deadline: 15 November 2023)
- Cold – Pressed Oils and Use of By-Products of Oil Pressing in Food Applications (Deadline: 20 November 2023)
- Advanced Researches on Functional Lipids (Deadline: 22 November 2023)
- Advances and Trends of Alternative Nutrients in Food (Deadline: 25 November 2023)
- Quality Evaluation and Functional Food Development of Cereals, Pseudocereals and Pulse Products, Volume II (Deadline: 30 November 2023)
- Application of Bioactive Compounds and Their Micro/Nano Encapsulation in Food (Deadline: 30 November 2023)
- Antioxidant Compounds in Functional Foods and Their Benefits for Human Health (Deadline: 10 December 2023)
- Antioxidant and Nutritional Evaluations of Food and Their Applications in the Prevention and Treatment of Chronic Diseases (Deadline: 15 December 2023)
- The Apprehension of Phenolic Compounds and Delivery of Health Properties through Fermented Food Products (Deadline: 15 December 2023)
- Bioactive Ingredients in Functional Foods: Molecular Nutrition Mechanisms and Disease Prevention (Deadline: 15 December 2023)
- Utilization of Value-Added Products from Food Residues and Waste (Deadline: 15 December 2023)
- Phytonutrients in Foods and Their By-Products: Characterization and Quantification (Deadline: 20 December 2023)
- Development and Assessment of Healthy Properties of Eggs and Egg Products Designed as Functional Foods (Deadline: 20 December 2023)
- Functional Food and Safety Evaluation (Deadline: 31 December 2023)
- Green Extraction Techniques of Bioactive Compounds from Food By-Products (Deadline: 31 December 2023)
- Impact of Functional Ingredients on Technological, Sensory and Health Properties of Bakery Products (Deadline: 31 December 2023)
- Bioactive Ingredients for Safe and Health-Promoting Functional Foods (Deadline: 31 December 2023)
- Bioactive Compounds, Antioxidants, and Health Benefits—Volume II (Deadline: 31 December 2023)
- Advances in Sources, Extraction, Encapsulation, Bioavailability and Health Benefits of Functional Food Ingredients (Deadline: 31 December 2023)
- Technological Strategy for Fermented Food and Its By-Products Utilization and Upcycling (Deadline: 5 January 2024)
- Editorial Board Members’ Collection Series in “Thought for Food: Diet and Gut Health” (Deadline: 15 January 2024)
- Current Research on Probiotics and Fermented Products (Deadline: 15 January 2024)
- Health-Promoting Effects and Mechanisms of Functional Food Ingredients (Deadline: 30 January 2024)
- Plant-Derived Dietary Fiber and Gut Microbiota Regulation (Deadline: 31 January 2024)
- Probiotics, Prebiotics, Synbiotics, Postbiotics and Paraprobiotics—New Perspective for Functional Foods and Nutraceuticals—Volume II (Deadline: 31 January 2024)
- Bioactive Compounds in the Spotlight: Frontier Research in Dietary Supplements, Functional Foods, and Nutraceuticals (Deadline: 5 February 2024)
- Phytochemicals in Foods: From Molecular Properties to Biological Functions (Deadline: 15 February 2024)
- Natural Bioactive Compounds from Foods: Extraction Technologies, Physicochemical Properties and Health Benefits (Deadline: 16 February 2024)
- The Functional Foods: New Trends and Perspectives (Deadline: 26 February 2024)
- Application of Natural Bioactive Components to Improve the Nutritional and Health-Related Properties of Food Products (Deadline: 28 February 2024)
- Editorial Board Members’ Collection Series in “Bioactive Foods and Ingredients for Health” (Deadline: 29 February 2024)
- Rise of Plant-Based Functional Foods (Deadline: 29 February 2024)
- Food Supplements and Nutraceuticals: Current Evidence and Future Perspectives in Human Health (Deadline: 29 February 2024)
- Functional Properties of Foods and Beverages (Deadline: 5 March 2024)
- Functional Food and Bioactive Food Ingredients for Health and/or Nutrition Claims (Deadline: 10 March 2024)
- Plant Extracts as Functional Food Ingredients (Deadline: 10 March 2024)
- Honeys and Bee Products: Physicochemical, Biological and Nutritive Properties (Deadline: 18 March 2024)
- Probiotic-Fortified and Fermented Food Products (Deadline: 20 March 2024)
- Exploitation of Plant Species for the Development of Functional Foods, Supplements and Nutraceuticals (Deadline: 24 March 2024)
- Research on Extraction of Functional Ingredients from Foods and Evaluation of Bioactivity, Antioxidative, and Antibacterial Properties (Deadline: 31 March 2024)
- Editorial Board Members’ Collection Series in “Plant Food Extracts and Phytochemicals” (Deadline: 31 March 2024)
- Functional Components in Oil Crops (Deadline: 30 April 2024)
Following topical collection within this section is currently open for submissions: