Journal Menu► ▼ Journal Menu
Journal Browser► ▼ Journal Browser
Special Issue "Parallel and Distributed Cloud, Edge and Fog Computing: Latest Advances and Prospects"
A special issue of Electronics (ISSN 2079-9292). This special issue belongs to the section "Computer Science & Engineering".
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 31 July 2023 | Viewed by 2214
Special Issue Editors
Interests: computer networking; IoT; cloud and edge computing; computational offloading; resource allocation; service function chain placement; 6G
Interests: cloud computing; edge computing; control theory; resource allocation; IoT; trust management
Special Issues, Collections and Topics in MDPI journals
Interests: software-defined networks; cognitive radio networks; IoT; big data; social network analysis; recommender systems
Interests: big data; caching; social network analysis; recommender systems; information diffusion
Special Issue Information
During the 21st century, cloud computing has been established as a breakthrough computing paradigm which provides utility computing at large scale, with applicability and adoption in several application domains. At the same time, the dawn of the 5G era in networking has paved the way for the next generation of cloud technologies, namely edge and fog computing, which tend to reposition the computational resources closer to the user.
However, as often happens with new technologies, there remain several challenges to be resolved. Unbalanced workload among the nodes of a cloud computing system infrastructure can potentially hamper its performance. The centralized management and processing of information can also have a negative impact, especially when big data applications are deployed. These are some of the problems that parallel and distributed techniques can solve when applied in the context of cloud, edge and fog computing, by enabling the aggregation and sharing of an increasing variety of distributed computational resources at large scale. Still, given other challenges such as security issues, increased infrastructure complexity, resilient low-latency communication as well as efficient orchestration and synchronization, there is room for improvement.
To this end, this Special Issue is soliciting conceptual, theoretical, and experimental contributions to a set of currently unresolved challenges in the area of parallel and distributed cloud, edge and fog computing. The topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Distributed resource allocation and scheduling in cloud, edge and fog computing;
- Optimization algorithms for distributed and parallel computing at network infrastructures;
- Network routing for distributed and parallel computing;
- Management and orchestration of distributed computational resources;
- Middleware and libraries for parallel and distributed computing at the cloud, edge and fog layer;
- Development of architectures for parallel and distributed computing;
- Scalability issues in parallel and distributed cloud computing;
- Applications of parallel and distributed computing in next-generation networking infrastructures;
- Security issues during network-enabled parallel and distributed computing;
- Data-resilient, fault-tolerant techniques for intra-infrastructure communication in distributed computing;
- Advanced algorithms for parallelization and distribution of network applications (AI, control theory, etc.).
Dr. Marios Avgeris
Dr. Dimitrios Dechouniotis
Dr. Konstantinos Tsitseklis
Dr. Vitoropoulou Margarita
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All submissions that pass pre-check are peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Electronics is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 2000 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- cloud computing
- edge computing
- fog computing
- parallel and distributed computing
- resource management optimization
- system architecture optimization