Special Issue "Fabrication and Properties of Bio-Coatings and Their Applications"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 31 March 2024 | Viewed by 673
Interests: surface modification and treatment; coatings properties and characterization; bioactive and biocompatible coatings; anti-corrosive and anti-friction coatings; nanostructured surface modification; additive manufacture of coatings; machine learning in coating properties
Interests: natural polymer biofilm; bioceramics; biocomposites; mechanical properties; antibacterial properties
Coatings systems, as one of the most effective surface modification strategies, are attracting more and more research attention. Unlike other surface modification approaches, coatings treatment technology could realize the goal of multi-functionalizing matrix materials. For instance, various coatings systems endow matrix materials with superior anti-corrosive, anti-friction, anti-oxidation, anti-bacterial, biocompatible, and electromagnetic shielding properties. With different manufacturing methods, the obtained coatings are characterized via specific testing methods based on the proposed potential application of the coatings. Among all these types of coatings, the bio-coatings are the coatings with favourable biocompatibility or bioactivity, and their targeted application is in the biomedical field.
This Special Issue will serve as a forum for papers covering the following themes:
- Exploration of optimal bio-coatings’ fabrication techniques.
- Organic, inorganic, or composite bio-coatings manufactured by chemical or physical vapour deposition, laser cladding, plasma deposition, thermal spraying, anodization, sol-gel method, 3D printing, etc.
- Novel characterization methods applied to assess the bio-coating system.
- Property measurement and evaluation of the bio-coatings in the proposed application.
- Reliability or failure behaviour and their failure mechanism of bio-coatings under specific service environment.
- Machine learning predicting and verifying the relationship between the fabrication process and bio-coatings’ properties.
- Biological characterization on the coating system.
- Evaluation of biocompatibility, bioactivity, and biotribological properties of the coating.
- Assessment of the antibacterial coatings.
Dr. Yuyun Yang
Dr. Maizlinda Izwana Idris
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All submissions that pass pre-check are peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Coatings is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 2600 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- characterization methods
- properties evaluation
- machine learning