Effect of COVID-19 Pandemic on Medical Students—A Single Center Study
- In-person clinical experience training.
- In-person lectures.
- In-person small group learning during the first two years of medical education.
Institutional Review Board Statement
Informed Consent Statement
Data Availability Statement
Conflicts of Interest
- Menon, A.; Klein, E.J.; Kollars, K.; Kleinhenz, A.L.W. Medical Students Are Not Essential Workers: Examining Institutional Responsibility During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Acad Med. 2020, 95, 1149–1151. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Newman, N.A.; Lattouf, O.M. Coalition for medical education-A call to action: A proposition to adapt clinical medical education to meet the needs of students and other healthcare learners during COVID-19. J. Card Surg. 2020, 35, 1174–1175. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Jumreornvong, O.; Yang, E.; Race, J.; Appel, J. Telemedicine and Medical Education in the Age of COVID-19. Acad Med. 2020, 95, 1838–1843. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Rolak, S.; Keefe, A.M.; Davidson, E.L.; Aryal, P.; Parajuli, S. Impacts and challenges of United States medical students during the COVID-19 pandemic. World J. Clin. Cases. 2020, 8, 3136–3141. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Alsoufi, A.; Alsuyihili, A.; Msherghi, A.; Elhadi, A.; Atiyah, H.; Ashini, A.; Ashwieb, A.; Ghula, M.; Ben Hasan, H.; Abudabuos, S.; et al. Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on medical education: Medical students’ knowledge, attitudes, and practices regarding electronic learning. PLoS ONE 2020, 15, e0242905. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Zis, P.; Artemiadis, A.; Bargiotas, P.; Nteveros, A.; Hadjigeorgiou, G.M. Medical Studies during the COVID-19 Pandemic: The Impact of Digital Learning on Medical Students’ Burnout and Mental Health. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2021, 18, 349. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Essangri, H.; Sabir, M.; Benkabbou, A.; Majbar, M.A.; Amrani, L.; Ghannam, A.; Lekehal, B.; Mohsine, R.; Souadka, A. Predictive Factors for Impaired Mental Health among Medical Students during the Early Stage of the COVID-19 Pandemic in Morocco. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 2021, 104, 95–102. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Poluch, M.; Ries, R.; Ahmed, M. Effect of COVID-19 Pandemic on Medical Students—A Single Center Study. Am. J. Gastroenterol. 2021, 116, S1408. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
|Have you developed any new physical illness during this pandemic? (n = 168)|
|If you answered “yes” to the previous question, was the illness COVID-19? (n = 28)|
|Have you developed any new mental illness (e.g., anxiety, depression, stress, etc.) during this pandemic? (n = 167)|
|Has this pandemic affected your pre-existing mental illness (e.g., anxiety, depression, OCD, ADHD, etc.)? (n = 158)|
|Has this pandemic affected your study in the medical school? (n = 167)|
|If you answered “yes” to the previous question, how would you grade the severity that the pandemic has affected your study?|
|Has this pandemic affected your clinical rotations in the medical school? (Third and Fourth Years only) (n = 70)|
|How was your entrance experience into the medical school affected by the pandemic as a first-year student?|
|Have you lost a family member due to COVID-19? (n = 167)|
|Are you going through any financial burden because of the COVID-19 pandemic? (n = 167)|
Publisher’s Note: MDPI stays neutral with regard to jurisdictional claims in published maps and institutional affiliations.
© 2022 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Poluch, M.; Ries, R.; Ahmed, M. Effect of COVID-19 Pandemic on Medical Students—A Single Center Study. Int. Med. Educ. 2022, 1, 11-15. https://doi.org/10.3390/ime1010004
Poluch M, Ries R, Ahmed M. Effect of COVID-19 Pandemic on Medical Students—A Single Center Study. International Medical Education. 2022; 1(1):11-15. https://doi.org/10.3390/ime1010004Chicago/Turabian Style
Poluch, Maria, Robert Ries, and Monjur Ahmed. 2022. "Effect of COVID-19 Pandemic on Medical Students—A Single Center Study" International Medical Education 1, no. 1: 11-15. https://doi.org/10.3390/ime1010004