Scaling-Up Interventions for Strengthening Antimicrobial Stewardship Using a One Health Approach in Wakiso District, Uganda †
1. Project Overview
2. Outcomes and Impact
The interventions suggested during the mentorship visits have been feasible among which was the creation of an AMS committee. We have also been guided about how we can reduce antimicrobial resistance. Previously, we did not know how to talk to patients but now with the different education materials we have, it is easier. We now have posters that increase awareness, and platforms from which we get information about AMS. We are very thankful for this mentorship by Entebbe Regional Referral Hospital.—Health officer in charge of a lower level health facility, Wakiso District.
3. Future Development
Institutional Review Board Statement
Informed Consent Statement
Data Availability Statement
Conflicts of Interest
- Musoke, D.; Kitutu, F.E.; Mugisha, L.; Amir, S.; Brandish, C.; Ikhile, D.; Kajumbula, H.; Kizito, I.M.; Lubega, G.B.; Niyongabo, F.; et al. A one health approach to strengthening antimicrobial stewardship in Wakiso District, Uganda. Antibiotics 2020, 9, 764. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Sharing Global Knowledge. Supporting Local Actions. Available online: https://www.global-pps.com/ (accessed on 9 December 2022).
- Uganda: Antimicrobial Resistance National Action Plan 2018–2023. Available online: https://www.who.int/publications/m/item/uganda-antimicrobial-resistance-national-action-plan-2018-2023 (accessed on 9 December 2022).
- Brandish, C.; Garraghan, F.; Ng, B.Y.; Russell-Hobbs, K.; Olaoye, O.; Ashiru-Oredope, D. Assessing the impact of a Global Health Fellowship on pharmacists’ leadership skills and consideration of benefits to the National Health Service (NHS) in the United Kingdom. Healthcare 2021, 9, 890. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Byrne-Davis, L.M.T.; Bull, E.R.; Burton, A.; Dharni, N.; Gillison, F.; Maltinsky, W.; Mason, C.; Sharma, C.; Armitage, C.J.; Johnston, M.; et al. How behavioural science can contribute to health partnerships: The case of The Change Exchange. Glob. Health 2017, 13, 30. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Musoke, D.; Namata, C.; Lubega, G.B.; Kitutu, F.E.; Mugisha, L.; Amir, S.; Brandish, C.; Gonza, J.; Ikhile, D.; Niyongabo, F.; et al. Access, use and disposal of antimicrobials among humans and animals in Wakiso district, Uganda: A qualitative study. J. Pharm. Policy Pract. 2021, 14, 69. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Sakeena, M.H.F.; Bennett, A.A.; McLachlan, A.J. Non-prescription sales of antimicrobial agents at community pharmacies in developing countries: A systematic review. Int. J. Antimicrob. Agents 2018, 52, 771–782. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Mukonzo, J.K.; Namuwenge, P.M.; Okure, G.; Mwesige, B.; Namusisi, O.K.; Mukanga, D. Over-the-counter suboptimal dispensing of antibiotics in Uganda. J. Multidiscip. Healthc. 2013, 6, 303–310. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
Disclaimer/Publisher’s Note: The statements, opinions and data contained in all publications are solely those of the individual author(s) and contributor(s) and not of MDPI and/or the editor(s). MDPI and/or the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to people or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content.
© 2023 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Lubega, G.B.; Musoke, D.; Nakalawa, S.; Brandish, C.; Ng, B.Y.; Niyongabo, F.; Kitutu, F.E.; Gheer, J.; Winter, J.; Brown, M.O.; et al. Scaling-Up Interventions for Strengthening Antimicrobial Stewardship Using a One Health Approach in Wakiso District, Uganda. Med. Sci. Forum 2022, 15, 7. https://doi.org/10.3390/msf2022015007
Lubega GB, Musoke D, Nakalawa S, Brandish C, Ng BY, Niyongabo F, Kitutu FE, Gheer J, Winter J, Brown MO, et al. Scaling-Up Interventions for Strengthening Antimicrobial Stewardship Using a One Health Approach in Wakiso District, Uganda. Medical Sciences Forum. 2022; 15(1):7. https://doi.org/10.3390/msf2022015007Chicago/Turabian Style
Lubega, Grace Biyinzika, David Musoke, Suzan Nakalawa, Claire Brandish, Bee Yean Ng, Filimin Niyongabo, Freddy Eric Kitutu, Jagdeep Gheer, Jody Winter, Michael Obeng Brown, and et al. 2022. "Scaling-Up Interventions for Strengthening Antimicrobial Stewardship Using a One Health Approach in Wakiso District, Uganda" Medical Sciences Forum 15, no. 1: 7. https://doi.org/10.3390/msf2022015007