Design and Performance Analysis of an In-Band Full-Duplex MAC Protocol for Ad Hoc Networks
- An IBFD MAC protocol is proposed for the ad hoc network named AdHoc-FDMAC, where all nodes are FDNs.
- This MAC describes all possible types of IBFD communications.
- The performance analyses are performed in terms of probability analysis, throughput analysis and routing time.
- The throughput of this AdHoc-FDMAC is compared with a recently published ad hoc MAC protocol as well as with the conventional HD communications. The AdHoc-FDMAC significantly outperforms the existing ad hoc MAC that uses IBFD communications.
- The simulation result shows that the routing time is significantly lower than that of the conventional FD communications.
2. Literature Review
3. Proposed MAC Protocol: AdHoc-FDMAC
3.1. Control Frame
3.2. Data Transmission
- Transmitter and receiver are out of the data transmission range;
- Transmitter and receiver are within the data transmission range.
3.2.1. Transmitter and Receiver Are out of the Data Transmission Range
3.2.2. Transmitter and Receiver Are within the Data Transmission Range
- BFD communications;
- TNFD communications.
Source-Based TNFD Communications
Destination-Based TNFD Communications
4. Mathematical Analysis
4.1. Probability Analysis
4.1.1. Probability Equation for BFD Communications
- The conditional probability that the PT (or MS) has a data packet for PR is .
- The probability that the corresponding PR has at least one data packet for PT in time is .
4.1.2. Probability Equation for TNFD Communications
Source-Based TNFD Communications
- The conditional probability that PT has data packet for PR is .
- The probability that the corresponding PR does not have data for corresponding PT in time is .
- The nodes (ST) that are hidden to the PR have minimum one data packet for the PT in time (where, ) is .
Destination Based TNFD Communications
- The conditional probability that the PT has data for PR is .
- The probability that the corresponding PR does not have data for the PT in time is .
- The probability that the PR (it acts as ST also) has minimum one data packet in time for any other node that is hidden from PT and is in the range of PR is .
4.2. Throughput Calculation
5. Result and Performance Analysis
5.1. Probability Analysis
5.2. Throughput Analysis
5.3. Routing Time
Data Availability Statement
Conflicts of Interest
|ACK-E||Acknowledgement with Next Relay Address to E|
|ACK-R||Acknowledgement with Next Relay Address to R|
|ALMS||Analog Least Mean Square|
|AODV||Ad hoc On-demand Distance Vector|
|BFD||Bidirectional Full Duplex|
|CTS||Clear to Send|
|CTS-AI||CTS with Acknowledgement Indicator|
|CTS-SRA||CTS with Secondary Receiver Address|
|DATA-E||Data from E|
|DATA-R||Data from R|
|DCF||Distributed Coordination Function|
|DIFS||Distributed Inter-frame Space|
|FD-MMAC||Full Duplex Multi-channel MAC|
|FDNs||Full Duplex Nodes|
|HDNs||Half Duplex Nodes|
|IFFD||Interference Free Full Duplex|
|MAC||Medium Access Control|
|NAV||Network Allocation Vector|
|NAV(CTS)||NAV for CTS|
|NAV(CTS-AI)||NAV for CTS-AI|
|NAV(CTS-SRA)||NAV for CTS-SRA|
|NAV(RTS)||NAV for RTS|
|OFDM||Orthogonal Frequency-division Multiplexing|
|PGR||Packet Generation Rate|
|RREP-E||Route Reply from MS to E|
|RREP-R||Route Reply from C to R|
|RREQ-C||Route Request from R to C|
|RREQ-MS||Route Request from E to MS|
|RTS||Request to Send|
|SIFS||Short Inter-frame Space|
|TNFD||Three Node Full Duplex|
|WLAN||Wireless Local Area Network|
- Helen, D.; Arivazhagan, D. Applications, advantages and challenges of ad hoc networks. J. Acad. Ind. Res. (JAIR) 2014, 2, 453–457. [Google Scholar]
- Goyal, S.; Liu, P.; Gurbuz, O.; Erkip, E.; Panwar, S. A distributed MAC protocol for full duplex radio. In 2013 Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers; IEEE: Piscataway, NJ, USA, 2013. [Google Scholar]
- Le, A.T.; Tran, L.C.; Huang, X.; Guo, Y.J. Analog least mean square loop for self-interference cancellation: A practical perspective. Sensors 2020, 20, 270. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed][Green Version]
- Radunovic, B.; Gunawardena, D.; Key, P.; Proutiere, A.; Singh, N.; Balan, V.; Dejean, G. Rethinking indoor wireless mesh design: Low power, low frequency, full-duplex. In 2010 Fifth IEEE Workshop on Wireless Mesh Networks; IEEE: Piscataway, NJ, USA, 2010. [Google Scholar]
- Bharadia, D.; McMilin, E.; Katti, S. Full Duplex Radios. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGCOMM, Hong Kong, China, 12–16 August 2013; Volume 10, p. 375386. [Google Scholar]
- Kim, D.; Lee, H.; Hong, D. A survey of in-band full-duplex transmission: From the perspective of PHY and MAC layers. IEEE Commun. Surv. Tutor. 2015, 17, 2017–2046. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Thilina, K.M.; Tabassum, H.; Hossain, E.; Kim, D.I. Medium access control design for full duplex wireless systems: Challenges and approaches. IEEE Commun. Mag. 2015, 53, 112–120. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Rahman, M.A.; Rahman, M.; Alim, M. In-band Full-duplex MAC Protocol for Ad Hoc Networks. In 2021 International Conference on Electronics, Communications and Information Technology (ICECIT); IEEE: Piscataway, NJ, USA, 2021. [Google Scholar]
- Duarte, M.; Sabharwal, A.; Aggarwal, V.; Jana, R.; Ramakrishnan, K.K.; Rice, C.W.; Shankaranarayanan, N.K. Design and characterization of a full-duplex multiantenna system for WiFi networks. IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol. 2013, 63, 1160–1177. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Jain, M.; Choi, J.I.; Kim, T.; Bharadia, D.; Seth, S.; Srinivasan, K.; Levis, P.; Katti, S.; Sinha, P. Practical, real-time, full duplex wireless. In Proceedings of the 17th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, Las Vegas, NV, USA, 19–23 September 2011. [Google Scholar]
- Cheng, W.; Zhang, X.; Zhang, H. RTS/FCTS mechanism based full-duplex MAC protocol for wireless networks. In 2013 IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM); IEEE: Piscataway, NJ, USA, 2013. [Google Scholar]
- Singh, N.; Gunawardena, D.; Proutiere, A.; Radunovi, B.; Balan, H.V.; Key, P. Efficient and fair MAC for wireless networks with self-interference cancellation. In 2011 International Symposium of Modeling and Optimization of Mobile, Ad Hoc, and Wireless Networks; IEEE: Piscataway, NJ, USA, 2011. [Google Scholar]
- Askari, E.; Aïssa, S. Single-band full-duplex MAC protocol for distributed access networks. IET Commun. 2014, 8, 1663–1673. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Rukaiya, R.; Farooq, M.U.; Khan, S.A.; Hussain, F.; Akhunzada, A. CFFD-MAC: A hybrid MAC for collision free full-duplex communication in wireless ad-hoc networks. IEEE Access 2021, 9, 35584–35598. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Sahai, A.; Patel, G.; Sabharwal, A. Pushing the limits of full-duplex: Design and real-time implementation. arXiv Preprint 2011, arXiv:1107.0607. [Google Scholar]
- Tang, D.; Zhang, C.; Song, R. Asynchronous In-band Full-Duplex Transmission Scheme for Ad-Hoc Networks. In Proceedings of the 2020 4th International Conference on Electronic Information Technology and Computer Engineering, Xiamen, China, 6–8 November 2020. [Google Scholar]
- Chen, C.; Hou, S.; Wu, S. Saturation throughput analysis of an asymmetric full-duplex MAC protocol in WLANs with hidden terminals. IEEE Access 2018, 6, 69948–69960. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Chen, Y.-D.; Chen, I.-J.; Shih, K.-P. An in-band full duplex MAC protocol with interference free for next generation WLANs. In 2018 International Conference on Electronics Technology (ICET); IEEE: Piscataway, NJ, USA, 2018. [Google Scholar]
- Zhang, Y.; Lazos, L.; Chen, K.; Hu, B.; Shivaramaiah, S. FD-MMAC: Combating multi-channel hidden and exposed terminals using a single transceiver. In IEEE INFOCOM 2014-IEEE Conference on Computer Communications; IEEE: Piscataway, NJ, USA, 2014. [Google Scholar]
- Maurya, P.K.; Sharma, G.; Sahu, V.; Roberts, A.; Srivastava, M.; Scholar, M.T. An overview of AODV routing protocol. Int. J. Mod. Eng. Res. (IJMER) 2012, 2, 728–732. [Google Scholar]
|Symbol of the Variable||Description of the Variable|
|Total number of nodes including MS|
|M||Percentage of average number of nodes within a node’s transmission range|
|PGR by each node|
|Percentage of total hidden nodes|
|Time duration for RTS frame|
|Time duration for CTS-AI frame|
|Time duration for CTS-SRA|
|Time duration for acknowledgement frame|
|Time duration for short interframe space (SIFS)|
|Time duration for data packet|
|Probability of BFD communications|
|Probability of STNFD communications|
|Probability of DTNFD communications|
|Total probability for TNFD communications|
|Uplink data length|
|Downlink data length|
|Throughput for BFD communication|
|Throughput for STNFD communication|
|Throughput for DTNFD communication|
|Throughput for HD communication|
|Transmission time for BFD communication|
|Transmission time for STNFD communication|
|Transmission time for DTNFD communication|
|Transmission time for HD communication|
|Transmission time for uplink or downlink data|
|Time of random timer|
|Packet length||1500 bytes|
|Data rate||54 Mbps|
|Control frame (RTS, CTS-AI, etc.) rate||12 Mbps|
|DIFS time||28 µs|
|SIFS time||10 µs|
|Time slot||9 μs|
|PLCP preamble duration||16 µs|
|PLCP header duration||4 µs|
Disclaimer/Publisher’s Note: The statements, opinions and data contained in all publications are solely those of the individual author(s) and contributor(s) and not of MDPI and/or the editor(s). MDPI and/or the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to people or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content.
© 2023 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Rahman, M.A.; Rahman, M.M.; Alim, M.A. Design and Performance Analysis of an In-Band Full-Duplex MAC Protocol for Ad Hoc Networks. Telecom 2023, 4, 100-117. https://doi.org/10.3390/telecom4010007
Rahman MA, Rahman MM, Alim MA. Design and Performance Analysis of an In-Band Full-Duplex MAC Protocol for Ad Hoc Networks. Telecom. 2023; 4(1):100-117. https://doi.org/10.3390/telecom4010007Chicago/Turabian Style
Rahman, Md. Abdur, Md. Mizanur Rahman, and Md. Abdul Alim. 2023. "Design and Performance Analysis of an In-Band Full-Duplex MAC Protocol for Ad Hoc Networks" Telecom 4, no. 1: 100-117. https://doi.org/10.3390/telecom4010007