ChatGPT in Supply Chains: Initial Evidence of Applications and Potential Research Agenda
2. Current Status of Research on ChatGPT and the Gap for the Supply Chain Area
3. ChatGPT in Supply Chains
Potential Research Agenda
- How can ChatGPT positively impact the performance of supply chain processes (e.g., plan, source, make, delivery, return)?;
- What are the main supply chain activities that can benefit from ChatGPT technology?;
- How can ChatGPT be applied to these supply chain activities?;
- How effective can ChatGPT technology be for the supply chain’s activities? What are the most relevant ones? What are the limitations and uncertainties of ChatGPT application for supply chain activities?;
- What are the pros and cons of ChatGPT application in supply chains?;
- How can ChatGPT influence the search for more sustainable and resilient supply chains?;
- What are the barriers and critical success factors to be considered in the implementation of ChatGPT in supply chains?;
- How can ChatGPT be integrated with other emergent technologies (e.g., Big Data Analytics, Metaverse, Additive Manufacturing, Blockchain) in order to achieve a higher performance on supply chain processes?;
- What are the different attributes to be taken into account when comparing ChatGPT for general use and its applications on supply chain processes?;
- How can ChatGPT contribute to supporting supply chains during disruptive and unexpected events (e.g., pandemics, war, natural disasters)?;
- What is the role of ChatGPT in the transition from Supply Chain 4.0 to Supply Chain 5.0?;
- What aspects must be considered in terms of the confidentiality, information security and ethical aspects of supply chains when implementing ChatGPT technology?
Data Availability Statement
Conflicts of Interest
- OpenAI. ChatGPT: Optimizing Language Models for Dialogue; OpenAI: San Francisco, CA, USA, 2022; Available online: https://openai.com/blog/chatgpt/ (accessed on 15 February 2023).
- Gravier, M. The more things change, the more they stay the same. In Supply Chain Management Review; Peerless Media: Framingham, MA, USA, 2023; Available online: https://www.scmr.com/article/the_more_things_change_the_more_they_stay_the_same (accessed on 10 February 2023).
- Frederico, G.F.; Garza-Reyes, J.A.; Anosike, A.; Kumar, V. Supply Chain 4.0: Concepts, Maturity and Research Agenda. Supply Chain. Manag. 2020, 25, 262–282. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Toorajipour, R.; Sohrabpour, V.; Nazarpour, A.; Oghazi, P.; Fischl, M. Artificial intelligence in supply chain management: A systematic literature review. J. Bus. Res. 2021, 122, 502–517. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Frederico, G.F. From Supply Chain 4.0 to Supply Chain 5.0: Findings from a Systematic Literature Review and Research Directions. Logistics 2021, 5, 49. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Younis, H.; Shishodia, A.; Gunasekaran, A.; Min, H.; Munim, Z.H. Applications of artificial intelligence and machine learning within supply chains: Systematic review and future research directions. J. Model. Manag. 2022, 17, 916–940. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Sharma, R.; Sundarakani, B.; Alsharairi, M. The role of artificial intelligence in supply chain management: Mapping the territory. Int. J. Prod. Res. 2022, 60, 7527–7550. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Ahmed, T.; Karmaker, C.L.; Nasir, S.B.; Moktadir, M.A.; Paul, S.K. Modeling the artificial intelligence-based imperatives of industry 5.0 towards resilient supply chains: A post-COVID-19 pandemic perspective. Comput. Ind. Eng. 2023, 177, 109055. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- O’Marah, K. ChatGPT and Supply Chain: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly; Zero100: London, UK, 2023; Available online: https://zero100.com/content/chatgpt-and-supply-chain-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/ (accessed on 11 February 2023).
- Burian, J. Does ChatGPT Offer Real Value to the Supply Chain? IIoT World: Cleveland, OH, USA, 2023; Available online: https://www.iiot-world.com/industrial-iot/connected-industry/does-chatgpt-offer-real-value-to-the-supply-chain/ (accessed on 11 February 2023).
- Pukkila, M. Exploring the Power of ChatGPT: An Opportunity for Supply Chain Transformation; Gartner: Stamford, CT, USA, 2023; Available online: https://blogs.gartner.com/power-of-the-profession-blog/exploring-the-power-of-chatgpt-an-opportunity-for-supply-chain-transformation/ (accessed on 13 February 2023).
- Nunez, V. How Chat GPT Thinks It Can Revolutionize the Logistics Industry? ShipLilly: Medley, FL, USA, 2023; Available online: https://www.shiplilly.com/blog/how-chat-gpt-thinks-it-can-revolutionize-the-logistics-industry/ (accessed on 18 February 2023).
- Potter, R. How Can Logistics Companies Benefit with the Usage of ChatGPT? Anolytics Medium: San Francisco, CA, USA, 2023; Available online: https://anolytics.medium.com/how-can-logistics-companies-benefit-with-the-usage-of-chatgpt-c38e85d4c4cb/ (accessed on 21 February 2023).
- Berthiaume, D. ChatGPT Is Coming—What It Means for Your Enterprise; CSA: Chicago, IL, USA, 2023; Available online: https://chainstoreage.com/chatgpt-coming-what-it-means-your-enterprise (accessed on 21 February 2023).
- Ashcroft, S. How might ChatGPT help Supply Chains. In Supply Chain Digital; BizClick: London, UK, 2023; Available online: https://supplychaindigital.com/digital-supply-chain/how-can-chatgpt-help-supply-chains (accessed on 22 March 2023).
- Rhodes, A. Top 3 Benefits of Using ChatGPT in the Supply Chain Industry; Stonge: York, PA, USA, 2023; Available online: https://www.stonge.com/top-3-benefits-of-using-chatgpt-in-the-supply-chain-industry/ (accessed on 22 March 2023).
- Reddy, S. How Startups Can Leverage ChatGPT to Optimize Supply Chain Management; Inc42: New Delhi, India, 2023; Available online: https://inc42.com/resources/how-startups-can-leverage-chatgpt-to-optimise-supply-chain-management/ (accessed on 22 March 2023).
- Trivedi, S. ChatGPT and Its Role in Logistics & Supply Chain Management; Management Enthusiast: Dehrandun, India, 2023; Available online: https://managemententhusiast.com/chatgpt-and-its-role-in-logistics-supply-chain-management/ (accessed on 22 March 2023).
- Büyüközkan, G.; Göçer, F. Digital Supply Chain: Literature review and a proposed framework for future research. Comput. Ind. 2018, 97, 157–177. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Ghadge, A.; Er Kara, M.; Moradlou, H.; Goswami, M. The impact of Industry 4.0 implementation on supply chains. J. Manuf. Technol. Manag. 2020, 31, 669–686. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Garay-Rondero, C.L.; Martinez-Flores, J.L.; Smith, N.R.; Caballero Morales, S.O.; Aldrette-Malacara, A. Digital supply chain model in Industry 4.0. J. Manuf. Technol. Manag. 2020, 31, 887–933. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Udalov, A.; Udalova, Z.; Postnikova, L. Application of Blockchain Technologies in Digital Agriculture. In Networked Control Systems for Connected and Automated Vehicles; Guda, A., Ed.; Lecture Notes in Network Systems; Springer: Cham, Switzerland, 2023; Volume 509, pp. 1663–1673. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Rowan, N. The role of digital technologies in supporting and improving fishery and aquaculture across the supply chain—Quo Vadis? Aquac. Fish. 2023, 8, 365–374. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Shrivastav, M. Barriers Related to AI Implementation in Supply Chain Management. J. Glob. Inf. Manag. 2022, 30, 1–19. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
|Article||Purpose||Main Findings and Applications|
|||This article presents pros and cons of ChatGPT||Based on the article, the tool works well for questions regarding supply chain issues; however, it is unable to provide operational breakthroughs in the operations. Additionally, even it is able to give accurate answers, it does not replace the ability of practitioners once they are those who have the enough knowledge to ask logical questions and to properly use the tool.|
|||This article approaches the main applications that can add value to supply chain management||The ChatGPT is a powerful tool that might be able to support different activities involved in supply chains such as data analysis, chatbot interface with supply chain stakeholders, predictive maintenance on equipment, inventory management and route optimization. It can also support other aspects of the supply chain such as providing sustainability reports, assisting in the evaluation of suppliers and helping to map supply chain sources with less risk.|
|||This article discusses the power of ChatGPT as a potential game changer in supply chains||For this author, unlike for general use, ChatGPT is not going to have an initial impact on the supply chain in order to revolutionize supply chain processes. This is because supply chains are too complex, and each one has specificities that will require time to obtain the maximum performance of this tool on supply chain applications. Therefore, ChatGPT is not an immediate game changer, but it is a useful available tool that can be improved in time.|
|||This article aims to present the main benefits of ChatGPT||The author emphasizes that ChatGPT is able to help supply chains enhance customer satisfaction, process efficiency and cost reduction. This is because ChatGPT is able to streamline communication with costumers (e.g., receiving immediate and accurate information about order status), suppliers (e.g., solving supply issues through more effective communication) and other stakeholders involved in supply chains. It may also automate routine tasks such as tracking and monitoring shipments and ordering process. Lastly, ChatGPT is a powerful tool to improve data analysis to support all supply chain processes.|
|||This article presents the main benefits of ChatGPT for the logistics industry||The author points out that ChatGPT can support enhancing customer service through effective chatbots, route optimization by analyzing orders and shipping data and making suggestions for cost reduction and better delivery performance, automating activities such as invoicing, improve communication between partners, which reduces risk of miscommunication and errors and makes order processing more efficient. In summary, ChatGPT is able to simplify the complex processes involved in logistics by reducing waste and inefficiencies such as wait times. This article also presents some challenges regarding ChatGPT, which are to ensure the accuracy and up to date data that ChatGPT will use to work and specialized technical support, which involves skilled IT personnel to operate artificial intelligence technology.|
|||This article approaches how ChatGPT can transform retail||For this author, ChatGPT will significantly improve customer service by handling much higher-level customer service requests, differently from what can be executed nowadays with traditional chatbot mechanisms. Additionally, ChatGPT can support promotional activities of marketing and workforce management by acting as an effective training and guidance tool.|
|||This article explores how ChatGPT might help supply chains||According to this article, ChatGPT can be a useful tool in the supply chain. It can help with automating processes, providing insights to supply chain managements and supporting communication across the supply chain. The author claims attention for the legal and ethical issues that must be observed regarding ChatGPT in supply chains.|
|||In this article, the top 3 benefits of ChatGPT in the supply chain industry are listed||Based on this article, there are three main top benefits of ChatGPT for supply chains: increased visibility, streamlined communication and optimized operations. According to the author of this article, ChatGPT can potentially be integrated with IoT (Internet of Things), gather data and generate KPIs, for example. In terms of communication, this tool can significantly enhance communication between supply chain members (e.g., customers, logistics providers, distribution centers, manufacturers) and increase efficiency and productivity. Operations optimization can be achieved, too, with ChatGPT supporting processes such as routing planning and processes’ decision-making.|
|||This article discusses how ChatGPT can optimize supply chain operations||For this author, ChatGPT can support supply chains in terms of demand forecasting, inventory management and supplier relationships. Additionally, ChatGPT has the potential to significantly increase supply chain visibility and transparency in the supply chains, especially when integrated with technologies such as IoT.|
|||This article aims to present the role of ChatGPT in logistics and supply chains||According to this author, ChatGPT can aid in route optimization by evaluating shipping data and providing recommendations to speed up deliveries. Additionally, this technology can automate some activities, such as invoicing. ChatGPT is able to enhance communication between supply chain members, reducing the risk of errors and misunderstandings regarding supply chain and logistics processes. Additionally, other application opportunities such as warehouse management (e.g., visibility of real-time inventory and optimization of storage space), support with customs clearance (visibility of customs regulations) and customer service applications (e.g., intelligent and customized responses to customer queries).|
Disclaimer/Publisher’s Note: The statements, opinions and data contained in all publications are solely those of the individual author(s) and contributor(s) and not of MDPI and/or the editor(s). MDPI and/or the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to people or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content.
© 2023 by the author. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Frederico, G.F. ChatGPT in Supply Chains: Initial Evidence of Applications and Potential Research Agenda. Logistics 2023, 7, 26. https://doi.org/10.3390/logistics7020026
Frederico GF. ChatGPT in Supply Chains: Initial Evidence of Applications and Potential Research Agenda. Logistics. 2023; 7(2):26. https://doi.org/10.3390/logistics7020026Chicago/Turabian Style
Frederico, Guilherme Francisco. 2023. "ChatGPT in Supply Chains: Initial Evidence of Applications and Potential Research Agenda" Logistics 7, no. 2: 26. https://doi.org/10.3390/logistics7020026