Effects of Airflow Disturbance on the Content of Biochemical Components and Mechanical Properties of Cucumber Seedling Stems
2. Materials and Methods
2.1. Experimental Materials
2.2. Experimental Design
2.3. Experimental Method
2.3.1. Determination of Biochemical Components in Cucumber Seedling Stem
- Cellulose determination: The stem sample was placed in a test tube, mixed with a mixture of acetic acid and glacial acetic acid, heated in a boiling water bath and centrifuged after cooling, and only the precipitate was retained. After the precipitate was dried, a mixture of sulfuric acid and potassium dichromate was added. After mixing, the mixture was heated in a boiling water bath. After cooling, KI solution and starch solution were added, and the solution was titrated with sodium thiosulfate to give a blue color. The titration of sulfuric acid and potassium dichromate mixture was designated as the blank experiment. The cellulose content calculation formula is as follows:
- Hemicellulose determination: The stem sample was placed in a beaker, mixed with calcium nitrate solution, heated in a boiling water bath and centrifuged after cooling, and only the precipitate was retained. After the precipitate was dried, hydrochloric acid was added to the boiling water bath for heating. After cooling, phenolphthalein was added dropwise, and the solution was titrated with saturated NaOH solution until the rose red did not fade. The filtrate was taken in the test tube, and the DNS reagent was added to the test tube to mix well, heated in a boiling water bath and diluted with distilled water after cooling. The absorbance of the solution at a wavelength of 540 nm was measured by an ultraviolet spectrophotometer, and the content was calculated according to the range of the glucose standard curve. If the measured content was within the range of the glucose standard curve, the coefficient was multiplied by 0.9.
- Determination of lignin: The stem samples were placed in a centrifuge tube, soaked in the acetic acid solution, mixed well and centrifuged. Only the precipitate was retained and rinsed with the acetic acid solution and transferred to a glass test tube. After the precipitate was dried, the mixture of ethanol and ether was added to soak and the supernatant was discarded. The mixture was heated in a boiling water bath until the water was completely evaporated. Then the mixture was mixed with sulfuric acid and placed for 16 h. After mixing with distilled water, the mixture was heated in a boiling water bath. After cooling, barium chloride solution was added. After mixing, the mixture was centrifuged and filtered to remove the supernatant and the precipitate was dried. A mixture of sulfuric acid and potassium dichromate was added to the precipitate, heated in a boiling water bath, cooled and transferred to a conical flask, and then KI solution and starch solution were added. The solution was titrated with sodium thiosulfate to just show blue that did not fade after shaking. The titration of sulfuric acid and potassium dichromate mixture was designated as the blank experiment. The lignin content calculation formula is as follows:
2.3.2. Determination of Mechanical Properties of Cucumber Seedling Stem
- Seedling stem bending test.
- Seedling stem shear test.
2.3.3. Grey Relational Analysis Method
- Select reference sequence (system characteristic sequence) and comparison sequence (correlation factor sequence) : The mechanical properties of cucumber seedling stems were set as the system characteristic sequence and the biochemical components were set as the related factor sequence. Reference sequence ; comparison sequence , i = 1, 2, 3, …, n.
- Original data selection: The mechanical parameters (elastic modulus, flexural strength, shear strength) of cucumber seedling stems were selected as the system characteristic index values to reflect the growth of plant stems and the content of stem biochemical components (cellulose, hemicellulose, lignin) was selected as the related factor sequence index value.
- Data dimensionless processing: This study used the initial value method, that is using the first number of the sequence to remove all the numbers of the same sequence.
- Difference sequence, maximum difference, minimum difference.
- Calculate the correlation coefficient:
- Calculate the correlation degree:
- Permutation order.
2.4. Data Processing and Analysis
3.1. Effect of Airflow Disturbance on the Content of Biochemical Components in Cucumber Seedling Stems
3.2. Cucumber Seedling Stem Bending Displacement–Load Curve Changes
3.3. Effects of Airflow Disturbance on Elastic Modulus and Bending Strength of Cucumber Seedling Stem
3.4. Cucumber Seedling Stem Shear Displacement–Load Curve Changes
3.5. Effect of Airflow Disturbance on Shear Strength of Cucumber Seedling Stem
3.6. Grey Relational Analysis of Biochemical Components and Mechanical Properties of Cucumber Seedling Stems
3.6.1. Correlation Degree between Biochemical Components and Mechanical Properties of Seedling Stems under Different Airflow Temperature Treatments
3.6.2. Correlation Degree between Biochemical Components and Mechanical Properties of Cucumber Seedlings under Different Airflow Velocity Treatments
Institutional Review Board Statement
Data Availability Statement
Conflicts of Interest
- Shah, G.L. Monsoon Flora of Bombay and Salsette Islands. Nelumbo Bull. Bot. Surv. India 1962, 4, 233–237. [Google Scholar]
- Ma, D.L. Effects of Air Disturbance on Microenvironment and Growth of Tomato Seedlings. Master’s Thesis, Henan Agricultural University, Zhengzhou, China, 2019. [Google Scholar]
- Cai, C.D. Effects of Different Ventilation and Irrigation Treatments on Greenhouse Environment, Tomato Growth Physiology and Yield. Master’s Thesis, North China University of Water Resources and Electric Power, Zhengzhou, China, 2022. [Google Scholar]
- Galedar, M.N.; Jafari, A.; Mohtasebi, S.S.; Tabatabaeefar, A.; Sharifi, A.; O’Dogherty, M.J.; Rafiee, S.; Richard, G. Effects of moisture content and level in the crop on the engineering properties of alfalfa stems. Biosyst. Eng. 2008, 101, 199–208. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Chen, B.; Liu, X.W.; Jia, L.; Li, Z.W.; Yang, Y.J.; Yue, L.R.; He, M. Effects of different light intensities on stem traits and mechanical characteristics of four Commelinaceae plants. Pratacultural J. 2021, 30, 103–116. [Google Scholar]
- Nan, M. Study on the Physiological Mechanism of Oat Lodging Resistance and Gene Expression of Stem Lignin Synthesis. Ph.D. Thesis, Gansu Agricultural University, Lanzhou, China, 2021. [Google Scholar]
- Hussain, S.; Iqbal, N.; Rahman, T.; Liu, T.; Brestic, M.; Safdar, M.E.; Asghar, M.A.; Farooq, M.U.; Shafiq, I.; Ali, A.; et al. Shade effect on carbohydrates dynamics and stem strength of soybean genotypes. Environ. Exp. Bot. 2019, 162, 374–382. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Wang, Q.; Lin, H.; Liao, P.; Wan, J.M.; Zheng, S.H. Shear force characteristics of tea stem. J. Fujian Agric. For. Univ. Nat. Sci. Ed. 2022, 51, 428–432. [Google Scholar]
- Zhao, W. Current situation and development trend of cucumber cultivation. Introd. Smart Agric. 2022, 2, 32–34. [Google Scholar]
- Li, F.; Yang, J.; Ge, L.L.; Zhang, J.Y.; Liu, Q.; Zhong, Q.Z.; Xiong, C.H.; Song, Q. Effects of exogenous chemical substances on the growth of cucumber seedlings. Chin. Melon Veg. 2022, 35, 76–80. [Google Scholar]
- Sang, J.J.; Ji, Y.H.; Liu, M.C.; Wu, Z.H.; Wang, L.P.; Wang, S.N. Study on the regulation of chlormequat chloride application and irrigation water temperature on the excessive growth of cucumber seedlings. Chin. Veg. 2022, 6, 50–55. [Google Scholar]
- Zhao, Y.X.; Zhu, J.M.; Yang, X.; Lou, L. Determination of lignin, cellulose and hemicellulose in walnut green husk. Guizhou For. Sci. Technol. 2021, 49, 7–10. [Google Scholar]
- Ma, N.; Zhang, B.B.; Xu, Y. Stem characteristics of Brassica napus with different plant heights and their correlation with lodging. Northwest Agric. J. 2021, 30, 203–211. [Google Scholar]
- Zou, M.; Chen, X.H.; Lu, Y. Optimization of processing conditions of Paeonia lactiflora based on grey relational analysis. J. Hunan Agric. Univ. Nat. Sci. Ed. 2022, 48, 749–754. [Google Scholar]
- Liu, R.; Chen, J.Y.; Shang, X.Y.; Xu, F.C.; Xu, Q.; Peng, Y.C.; Dong, G.Q.; Dong, J.; Qin, D.D. Relationship between stem and spike traits and lodging resistance in barley and wheat. Hordeum Cereal Sci. 2022, 39, 14–21. [Google Scholar]
- Mei, F.W.; Zheng, S.H. Experiment and analysis on shear mechanical properties of Juncao stem. Fujian Agric. J. 2020, 35, 344–350. [Google Scholar]
- Hu, Z. Studies on Genes and QTLs Related to Rice Stem Cell Wall Traits and Enzymatic Conversion Efficiency. Master’s Thesis, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan, China, 2015. [Google Scholar]
- Lu, K.L. Effects of Nitrogen Application Period on Stem Development and Lodging Resistance of Wheat. Master’s Thesis, Shandong Agricultural University, Taian, China, 2014. [Google Scholar]
|Treatment||Number||Airflow Temperature (℃)||Airflow Velocity (m/s)|
|Airflow disturbance (cool)||TA1||25 ± 5||1|
|Airflow disturbance (hot)||TB1||35 ± 5||1|
|Control (no airflow disturbance)||CK||Room temperature||0|
|Airflow Temperature||Biochemical Component||Mechanical Properties Parameters|
|Modulus of Elasticity||Bending Strength||Shear Strength|
|TA (25 ± 5 °C)||Cellulose||0.7006||0.6372||0.6285|
|TB (35 ± 5 °C)||Cellulose||0.8941||0.7441||0.5088|
|Airflow Velocity||Biochemical Component||Mechanical Properties Index|
|Modulus of Elasticity||Bending Strength||Shear Strength|
Disclaimer/Publisher’s Note: The statements, opinions and data contained in all publications are solely those of the individual author(s) and contributor(s) and not of MDPI and/or the editor(s). MDPI and/or the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to people or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content.
© 2023 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Hou, M.; Ni, J.; Mao, H. Effects of Airflow Disturbance on the Content of Biochemical Components and Mechanical Properties of Cucumber Seedling Stems. Agriculture 2023, 13, 1125. https://doi.org/10.3390/agriculture13061125
Hou M, Ni J, Mao H. Effects of Airflow Disturbance on the Content of Biochemical Components and Mechanical Properties of Cucumber Seedling Stems. Agriculture. 2023; 13(6):1125. https://doi.org/10.3390/agriculture13061125Chicago/Turabian Style
Hou, Min, Jiheng Ni, and Hanping Mao. 2023. "Effects of Airflow Disturbance on the Content of Biochemical Components and Mechanical Properties of Cucumber Seedling Stems" Agriculture 13, no. 6: 1125. https://doi.org/10.3390/agriculture13061125