What Is Your Legacy? A Pilot Study of Naming Practices of Legacy Hawker Stalls in a Singaporean Hawker Center
1.1. Singapore and Its Hawker Culture
1.2. A Brief History of Hawking in Singapore
1.3. Business Names
1.4. Hawker Stall Names as Business Names
2. Materials and Methods
3. Results and Discussion
3.1. Overall Naming Practices
3.2. Naming Practices of “Legacy” Hawker Stalls
Institutional Review Board Statement
Informed Consent Statement
Data Availability Statement
Conflicts of Interest
- Ailawadi, Kusum L., Donald R. Lehmann, and Scott A. Neslin. 2003. Revenue Premium as an Outcome Measure of Brand Equity. Journal of Marketing 67: 1–17. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Alserhan, Baker Ahmad, and Zeid A. Alserhan. 2012. Naming Businesses: Names as Drivers of Brand Value. Competitiveness Review: An International Business Journal 22: 329–42. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Chan, Allan K. K., and Yue-Yuan Huang. 2001. Chinese Brand Naming: A Linguistic Analysis of the Brands of Ten Product Categories. Journal of Product & Brand Management 10: 103–19. [Google Scholar]
- Chua, Beng Huat. 2016. Taking the Street Out of Street Food. In Food, Foodways and Foodscapes: Culture, Community and Consumption in Post-Colonial Singapore. Edited by Lily Kong and Vineeta Sinha. Singapore: World Scientific, pp. 23–40. [Google Scholar]
- Clancey, Gregory. 2018. Hygiene in a Landlord State: Health, Cleanliness and Chewing Gum in Late Twentieth Century Singapore. Science, Technology & Society 23: 214–33. [Google Scholar]
- Creţan, Remus, and Philip W. Matthews. 2016. Popular Responses to City-Text Changes: Street Naming and the Politics of Practicality in a Post-Socialist Martyr City. Area 48: 92–102. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Creţan, Remus. 2019. Who Owns the Name? Fandom, Social Inequalities and the Contested Renaming of a Football Club in Timişoara, Romania. Urban Geography 40: 805–25. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Daniel Food Diary. 2020. China Whampoa Ban Mian—Popular Ban Mian Stall at Whampoa Food Centre, with Outlets at Geylang (24/7). Available online: https://danielfooddiary.com/2020/03/30/chinawhampoa/ (accessed on 11 November 2022).
- Daniel Food Diary. 2022. Fernvale Hawker Centre at Sengkang West—With Famous Curry Chicken Noodles, Bak Chor Mee and Claypot Fried Porridge. Available online: https://danielfooddiary.com/2022/08/06/fernvalehawkercentre/ (accessed on 29 October 2022).
- Department of Statistics. 2021. Population Trends 2021. Available online: https://www.singstat.gov.sg/-/media/files/publications/population/population2021.pdf (accessed on 29 October 2022).
- Ermolaev, Vladimir A., and Dmitry A. Ruban. 2022. Siberian Cedar in Russian Business Naming: A Case Study. Social Sciences 11: 450. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Ghani, Azhar. 2011. A Recipe for Success: How Singapore Hawker Centres Came to Be. Institute of Policy Studies. Available online: https://lkyspp.nus.edu.sg/docs/default-source/ips/ag_history-of-hawkers_010511.pdf (accessed on 29 October 2022).
- Herbert, Robert K. 1999. Of Barbers and Bottle Shops: Naming Businesses in South Africa. Names: A Journal of Onomastics 47: 249–55. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Hong, Lynda. 2023. 2 New Hawker Centres to Open in Bidadari and Buangkok This Year. The Straits Times. March 2. Available online: https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/environment/2-new-hawker-centres-to-open-in-bidadari-and-buangkok-this-year (accessed on 2 June 2023).
- Hong, Terence. 2022. Top 10 Best Prawn Noodles in Singapore. Tropika Club Magazine. June 2. Available online: https://magazine.tropika.club/the-best-prawn-noodles-in-singapore/ (accessed on 11 November 2022).
- Landry, Rodrigue, and Richard Y. Bourhis. 1997. Linguistic Landscape and Ethnolinguistic Vitality: An Empirical Study. Journal of Language and Social Psychology 16: 23–49. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Lee, Cher Leng. 2013. Names of Chinese Hawker Stalls and Foods in Singapore. In Onomastics in Contemporary Public Space. Edited by Oliviu Felecan and Alina Bugheșiu. Newcastle-upon-Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, pp. 293–313. [Google Scholar]
- Lee, Cher Leng. 2022a. Singapore Hawker Centres: A Linguistic Landscape of Identity, Diversity, and Continuity. Journal of Asian Pacific Communication. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Lee, Hsien Loong. 2022b. Speech by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong at the Opening of Fernvale Community Club and Fernvale Hawker Centre and Market on 25 September 2022. Prime Minister’s Office. Available online: https://www.pmo.gov.sg/Newsroom/PM-Lee-Hsien-Loong-at-Fernvale-Community-Club-and-Hawker-Centre-and-Market-opening (accessed on 29 October 2022).
- Leimgruber, Jakob R. E. 2018. Itineracy Immobilised: The Linguistic Landscape of a Singaporean Hawker Centre. Linguistic Landscape 4: 178–99. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Leimgruber, Jakob R. E. 2020. Naming Practices in Singapore’s Hawker Centres: Echoes of Itineracy. In Talking about Food: The Social and the Global in Eating Communities. Edited by Sofia Rüdiger and Susanne Mühleisen. Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing Company, pp. 235–56. [Google Scholar]
- Liesch, Matthew, Linda M. Dunklee, Robert J. Legg, Anthony D. Feig, and Austin J. Jena Krause. 2015. Use of Business-Naming Practices to Delineate Vernacular Regions: A Michigan Example. Journal of Geography 114: 188–96. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Light, Duncan, and Craig Young. 2015. Toponymy as Commodity: Exploring the Economic Dimensions of Urban Place Names. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 39: 435–50. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Mancuso, Joseph R. 1978. How to Name—And Not Name—A Business. Harvard Business Review 56: 20–26. [Google Scholar]
- Marjavaara, Roger, Robert O. Nilsson, and Dieter K. Müller. 2022. The Arctification of Northern Tourism: A Longitudinal Geographical Analysis of Firm Names in Sweden. Polar Geography 45: 119–36. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- National Environment Agency. 2019. High Majority of Patrons Satisfied with Hawker Centres. Available online: https://www.nea.gov.sg/media/news/news/index/high-majority-of-patrons-satisfied-with-hawker-centres (accessed on 29 October 2022).
- Oxford Learner’s Dictionaries. n.d. Kiosk. Available online: https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/american_english/kiosk (accessed on 31 October 2022).
- Pavlenko, Aneta. 2010. Linguistic Landscape of Kyiv, Ukraine: A Diachronic Study. In Linguistic Landscape in the City. Edited by Elana Shohamy, Eliezer Ben-Rafael and Monica Barni. Bristol: Multilingual Matters, pp. 133–50. [Google Scholar]
- SETHLUI.com. 2020. A Different Kind of Start Up: Yi Qi Fa Nasi Lemak—Food Stories. YouTube. Available online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc_ESnC5yXA (accessed on 11 November 2022).
- Shipley, David, and Paul Howard. 1993. Brand-Naming Industrial Products. Industrial Marketing Management 22: 59–66. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Singapore Tourism Board. 2020. Hawker Food Is More than Just a Meal in Singapore. Facebook. Available online: https://www.facebook.com/STBsingapore/posts/hawker-food-is-more-than-just-a-meal-in-singapore-it-is-a-hallmark-of-what-it-me/2184674371662945/ (accessed on 29 October 2022).
- Tan, Adeline. 2022. Get Your Raw Ingredients Turned into Meals at Market and Hawker Centre at Fernvale CC. The Straits Times. September 25. Available online: https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/community/get-your-raw-ingredients-turned-into-meals-in-new-fernvale-community-club (accessed on 29 October 2022).
- Tarulevicz, Nicole. 2018a. Hawkerpreneurs: Hawkers, Entrepreneurship, and Reinventing Street Food in Singapore. RAE: Revista de Administração de Empresas (Journal of Business Management) 58: 291–302. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Tarulevicz, Nicole. 2018b. Sensing Safety in Singapore, 1900–2015. Food, Culture & Society 21: 164–79. [Google Scholar]
- The Long and Winding Road. 2010. Macaroni Under the Flyover. Available online: https://thelongnwindingroad.wordpress.com/2010/05/18/macaroni-under-the-flyover/ (accessed on 11 November 2022).
- Thonus, Terese. 1991. Englishization of Business Names in Brazil. World Englishes 10: 65–74. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Van Langevelde, Ab, and Piet Pellenbarg. 2003. What’s in a Frisian Business Name? Regional Identity in the Netherlands. Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie (Journal of Economic and Human Geography) 92: 309–23. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Zhang, Jane. 2022. 4 New Hawker Centres Opening in S’pore by 2nd Half of 2022. Mothership.SG. March 7. Available online: https://mothership.sg/2022/03/new-hawker-centres-2022/ (accessed on 2 June 2023).
|Food and drinks||1||1||0||0||2|
Fins & Feathers
|Food and name||14||178 Yi Qi Fa Econ Beehoon • Nasi Lemak|
Fu Shi (Traditional) Roasted • Wanton Mee
Abang Teh Tarik
Nasi Padang by Umi’s Spices
Al-Hyzin Mee Delights Mutton Soup
|Food and place||7||Kopi Kiosk|
Whitley Road Big Prawn Noodle
Amoy Street Lor Mee
|Food, name, and place||5||Mohamed Danish Prata Paradise|
Jin Kimchi Express @ Fernvale
Tong Fong Fatt Hainanese Boneless Chicken Rice
Disclaimer/Publisher’s Note: The statements, opinions and data contained in all publications are solely those of the individual author(s) and contributor(s) and not of MDPI and/or the editor(s). MDPI and/or the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to people or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content.
© 2023 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Lim, S.T.G.; Cacciafoco, F.P. What Is Your Legacy? A Pilot Study of Naming Practices of Legacy Hawker Stalls in a Singaporean Hawker Center. Soc. Sci. 2023, 12, 341. https://doi.org/10.3390/socsci12060341
Lim STG, Cacciafoco FP. What Is Your Legacy? A Pilot Study of Naming Practices of Legacy Hawker Stalls in a Singaporean Hawker Center. Social Sciences. 2023; 12(6):341. https://doi.org/10.3390/socsci12060341Chicago/Turabian Style
Lim, Shaun Tyan Gin, and Francesco Perono Cacciafoco. 2023. "What Is Your Legacy? A Pilot Study of Naming Practices of Legacy Hawker Stalls in a Singaporean Hawker Center" Social Sciences 12, no. 6: 341. https://doi.org/10.3390/socsci12060341