The Rise of China and Evolving Defense Cooperation between India and Japan
2. Materials and Methods
3.1. Tokyo’s Positive Attitude towards Japan-India Cooperation
3.2. India’s Initial Reluctance
3.3. India’s Shift in Position and an Assertive Foreign Policy
3.4. China’s Rising Influence and Evolving Defense Cooperation between India and Japan
4.1. Possible Factors behind Japan’s Positive Attitude
4.2. Possible Factors behind India’s Initial Reluctance
4.3. Possible Factors behind India’s Shift in Position
4.4. Implications of the Growing India-Japan Defense Cooperation
4.5. Policy Analysis and Suggestions
Institutional Review Board Statement
Informed Consent Statement
Data Availability Statement
Conflicts of Interest
- Abe, Shinzo. 2011. Remarks of Shinzo Abe, Former Prime Minister of Japan, at the Indian Council of World Affairs (ICWA) and Japan Institute for National Fundamentals (JINF) Joint Seminar, New Delhi, India. September 20. Available online: https://en.jinf.jp/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/HP-E%E3%82%A4%E3%83%B3%E3%83%89%E6%BC%94%E8%AA%AC%E4%BC%9A%E5%A0%B4%E9%85%8D%E5%B8%83%E7%94%A8916.pdf (accessed on 7 April 2023).
- Abe, Shinzo. 2021. Strategic Thinking in Free and Open Indo-Pacific [自由で開かれたインド太平洋に見る戦略的思考, jiyu de hirakareta indo taiheiyo ni miru senryakuteki shikou]. Diplomacy 65: 94–99. [Google Scholar]
- Asian Development Bank. 2007. Meeting Asia’s Infrastructure Needs. Manila. Available online: https://www.adb.org/sites/default/files/publication/227496/special-report-infrastructure.pdf (accessed on 7 April 2023).
- Auslin, Michael. 2016. Japan’s New Realism: Abe Gets Tough. Foreign Affairs 95: 125–34. [Google Scholar]
- Bajpai, Kanti. 2019. India and Japan: Strategic Partners for the 21st Century. February 26. Available online: https://www.cppr.in/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/India-and-Japan_-Strategic-Partners-for-the-21st-Century.pdf (accessed on 7 April 2023).
- Basrur, Rajesh. 2017. Modi’s foreign policy fundamentals: A trajectory unchanged. International Affairs 93: 7–26. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Basrur, Rajesh, and Sumitha Narayanan Kutty. 2022. Modi’s India and Japan: Nested strategic partnerships. International Politics 59: 67–89. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Bradford, John F. 2021. Japanese naval activities in Southeast Asian waters: Building on 50 years of maritime security capacity building. Asian Security 17: 79–104. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Brewster, David. 2010a. India’s Developing Relationship with South Korea: A Useful Friend in East Asia. Asian Survey 50: 402–25. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Brewster, David. 2010b. The India-Japan security relationship: An enduring security partnership? Asian Security 6: 95–120. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Brewster, David. 2013. India’s Defense Strategy and the India-ASEAN Relationship. India Review 12: 151–64. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Brewster, David. 2014. The India-Australia Security and Defence Relationship: Developments, Constraints and Prospects. Security Challenges 10: 65–86. [Google Scholar]
- Brewster, David. 2017. India’s Ocean: The Story of India’s Bid for Regional Leadership. London: Routledge. [Google Scholar]
- Brooks, Stephen G., G. John Ikenberry, and William C. Wohlforth. 2013. Lean forward: In defense of American engagement. Foreign Affairs 92: 130–42. [Google Scholar]
- Burgess, Stephen F., and Janet Beilstein. 2018. Multilateral defense cooperation in the Indo-Asia-Pacific region: Tentative steps toward a regional NATO? Contemporary Security Policy 39: 258–79. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Cabinet Office, Japan. 2013. National Security Strategy of Japan. Available online: https://www.cas.go.jp/jp/siryou/131217anzenhoshou/pamphlet_en.pdf (accessed on 22 March 2023).
- Cabinet Office. 2022. Poll on Diplomacy [外交に関する世論調査, Gaiko ni Kansuru Seron Chosa]. Available online: https://survey.gov-online.go.jp/r04/r04-gaiko/index.html (accessed on 22 May 2023).
- Chakraborty, Mohor. 2020. Navigating the contours of maritime defence cooperation between India and Japan: Impulses, challenges and opportunities. Maritime Affairs: Journal of the National Maritime Foundation of India 16: 106–18. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Chaulia, Sreeram. 2018. Modi Doctrine: The Foreign Policy of India’s Prime Minister. London: Bloomsbury Publishing. [Google Scholar]
- Choong, William. 2019. The return of the Indo-Pacific strategy: An assessment. Australian Journal of International Affairs 73: 415–30. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Economic Times. 2011. India Asks China to Demonstrate Sensitivity to Core Interests. The Economic Times. January 18. Available online: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/india-asks-china-to-demonstrate-sensitivity-to-core-interests/articleshow/7311827.cms?from=mdr (accessed on 23 April 2023).
- Fravel, M. Taylor. 2018. Active Defense: China’s Military Strategy Since 1949. Princeton: Princeton University Press. Available online: https://press.princeton.edu/books/hardcover/9780691152134/active-defense (accessed on 6 January 2023).
- Ganguly, Sumit, and Manjeet S. Pardesi. 2009. Explaining Sixty Years of India’s Foreign Policy. India Review 8: 4–19. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Grare, Frédéric. 2018. Along the Road: Gwadar and China’s Power Projection. In The China-Pakistan Economic Corridor. London: Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 57–74. [Google Scholar]
- Harner, Stephen. 2014. A Japan-India Anti-China Alliance? No. This Is about Economics. Forbes. September 3. Available online: https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephenharner/2014/09/03/a-japan-india-anti-china-alliance-no-this-is-about-economics/?sh=53a8af0d3a38 (accessed on 13 December 2022).
- Hirose, Takako. 2007. Japan’s Late Start: Prospects for Japan-India Relations. [出遅れた日本日印関係の展望, deokureta nihon: Nishi-in kankei no tenbou]. In 60 Chapters to Understand India [現代インドを知るための60章, indo woshiru tameno 60 sho]. Edited by Hirose Takako. Tokyo: Akashishoten Publishing, pp. 331–36. [Google Scholar]
- Johnston, Alastair Iain. 2013. How new and assertive is China’s new assertiveness? International Security 37: 7–48. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Keerthiraj, and Noorera G. Devaiah. 2022. Quintessence of International Politics: Theoretical and Conceptual Foundations. Patna: Blue Hill Publications. [Google Scholar]
- Kinne, Brandon J., and Jonas B. Bunte. 2020. Guns or Money? Defense Co-operation and Bilateral Lending as Coevolving Networks. British Journal of Political Science 50: 1067–88. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Koga, Kei. 2019. Japan’s “Free and Open Indo-Pacific” Strategy: Tokyo’s Tactical Hedging and the Implications for ASEAN. Contemporary Southeast Asia 41: 286–313. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Laskar, H Rezaul. 2020. India, Japan ink pact to bolster defence forces. Hindustan Times. September 10. Available online: https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/india-japan-ink-pact-to-bolster-defence-forces/story-xOCacyTP5OIADoqruteQBI.html (accessed on 6 April 2023).
- Liff, Adam P. 2015. Japan’s Defense Policy: Abe the Evolutionary. The Washington Quarterly 38: 79–99. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Mathur, Arpita. 2012. India-Japan Relations: Drivers, Trends and Prospects. Singapore: S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies. Available online: https://www.rsis.edu.sg/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Monograph2313.pdf (accessed on 7 April 2023).
- Ministry of Commerce and Industry. 2011. Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement between the Republic of India and Japan. Available online: https://www.mofa.go.jp/region/asia-paci/india/epa201102/pdfs/ijcepa_ba_e.pdf (accessed on 28 March 2023).
- Ministry of Defence, Government of India. 2014. Defence Expenditure. Available online: https://mod.gov.in/dod/sites/default/files/DefenceExpenditure2014-15.pdf (accessed on 23 March 2023).
- Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India. 2012. India-China Bilateral Relations. Available online: https://mea.gov.in/Portal/ForeignRelation/China-January-2012.pdf (accessed on 17 March 2023).
- Ministry of External Affairs, Japan. 2014. Tokyo Declaration for Japan-India Special Strategic and Global Partnership. Available online: https://www.mofa.go.jp/files/000050532.pdf (accessed on 18 March 2023).
- Ministry of External Affairs. 2015. India-Japan Vision 2025: Special Strategic and Global Partnership. Available online: https://www.mea.gov.in/bilateral-documents.htm?dtl/26176/IndiaJapan+Vision+2025+Special+Strategic+and+Global+Partnership+Working+Together+for+Peace+and+Prosperity+of+the+IndoPacific+Region+and+the+World (accessed on 3 May 2023).
- Ministry of External Affairs. 2016. Agreement for Cooperation in the Peaceful Uses of Nuclear Energy. Available online: https://mea.gov.in/bilateral-documents.htm?dtl/27599/Agreement_for_Cooperation_in_the_Peaceful_Uses_of_Nuclear_Energy (accessed on 19 April 2023).
- Ministry of External Affairs. 2017. India-Australia-Japan-U.S. Consultations on Indo-Pacific. November 12. Available online: https://mea.gov.in/press-releases.htm?dtl/29110/IndiaAustraliaJapanUS_Consultations_on_IndoPacific_November_12_ (accessed on 13 January 2023).
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Japan. 2001. Japan-India Joint Declaration. Available online: https://www.mofa.go.jp/region/asia-paci/india/joint0112.html (accessed on 22 May 2023).
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Japan. 2005. Japan-India Partnership in the New Asian Era. Available online: https://www.mofa.go.jp/region/asia-paci/india/partner0504.html (accessed on 22 May 2023).
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Japan. 2007. Joint Statement on the Roadmap for New Dimensions to the Strategic and Global Partnership between Japan and India. Available online: https://www.mofa.go.jp/region/asia-paci/pmv0708/joint-2.html (accessed on 22 May 2023).
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Japan. 2008. Declaration on Security Cooperation between Japan and India. Available online: https://www.mofa.go.jp/region/asia-paci/india/pmv0810/joint_d.html (accessed on 22 May 2023).
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Japan. 2020. Signing of the Agreement between the Government of Japan and the Government of the Republic of India concerning Reciprocal Provision of Supplies and Services between the Self-Defense Forces of Japan and the Indian Armed Forces. Available online: https://www.mofa.go.jp/press/release/press4e_002896.html (accessed on 15 March 2023).
- Modi, Narendra. 2018. Prime Minister’s Keynote Address at Shangri-La Dialogue. Available online: https://www.mea.gov.in/Speeches-Statements.htm?dtl/29943/Prime_Ministers_Keynote_Address_at_Shangri_La_Dialogue_June_01_2018 (accessed on 15 April 2023).
- MOFA Japan. 2007. Confluence of the Two Seas—Speech by H.E. Mr. Shinzo Abe 0708) MOFA Japan. Confluence of the Two Seas—Speech by H.E. Mr. Shinzo Abe, Prime Minister of Japan at the Parliament of the Republic of India. August 22. Available online: http://www.mofa.go.jp/region/asiapaci/pmv0708/speech-2.html (accessed on 16 April 2023).
- MOFA Japan. 2017. Japan-India Summit. September 14. Available online: http://www.mofa.go.jp/s_sa/sw/in/page3e_000747.html (accessed on 15 June 2022).
- Muraviev, Alexey D., Dalbir Ahlawat, and Lindsay Hughes. 2022. India’s security dilemma: Engaging big powers while retaining strategic autonomy. International Politics 59: 1119–38. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Naidu, G. Vijayachandra. 2007. Ballistic missile defence: Perspectives on India–Japan cooperation. Strategic Analysis 31: 155–77. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Naidu, G. Vijayachandra, and Ishida Yasuyuki. 2019. India–Japan Defence Ties: Building a Strategic Partnership. Strategic Analysis 43: 13–27. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Nordin, Astrid H. M., and Mikael Weissmann. 2018. Will Trump make China great again? The Belt and Road Initiative and international order. International Affairs 94: 231–50. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Panda, Rajaram. 2012. India-Japan defence partnership. Indian Foreign Affairs Journal 7: 311–20. [Google Scholar]
- Pant, Harsh V. 2007. India in the Asia–Pacific: Rising ambitions with an eye on China. Asia-Pacific Review 14: 54–71. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Pant, Harsh V. 2012. Indian Foreign Policy in a Unipolar World. In The Oxford Handbook of Indian Foreign Policy. Edited by David M. Malone, C. Raja Mohan and Srinath Raghavan. Oxford: Oxford University Press. [Google Scholar]
- Pardesi, Manjeet S. 2022. India’s China strategy under Modi continuity in the management of an asymmetric rivalry. International Politics 59: 44–66. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Paul, Thazha V. 2018. Restraining Great Powers: Soft Balancing from Empires to the Global Era. London: Yale University Press. [Google Scholar]
- Permanent Court of Arbitration. 2016. The South China Sea arbitration (The Republic of the Philippines v. The People’s Republic of China) [Press Release]. The Hague. July 12. Available online: https://pcacases.com/web/sendAttach/1801 (accessed on 14 November 2022).
- PIB, India. 2019. Joint Statement: First India-Japan 2+2 Foreign and Defence Ministerial Meeting. Press Information Bureau. November 30. Available online: https://pib.gov.in/pressreleaseshare.aspx?prid=1594385 (accessed on 14 November 2022).
- Posen, Barry. 2013. Pull back: The case for a less activist foreign policy. Foreign Affairs 92: 116–28. [Google Scholar]
- Prime Minister’s Office, India. 2016. Speech by Prime Minister at CII-Keidanren Business Luncheon. Press Information Bureau, Government of India. November 11. Available online: https://pib.gov.in/newsite/PrintRelease.aspx?relid=153500 (accessed on 6 April 2023).
- Rachman, Gideon. 2011. America must manage its decline. Financial Times, October 18. [Google Scholar]
- Sekiyama, Takashi. 2012. Japan’s Policy toward China under strong anti-Chinese sentiment: A case of terminating yen loans to China. East Asia: An International Quarterly 29: 295–311. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Siahaan, Sereffina Yohanna Elisabeth, and Helda Risman. 2020. Strengthening ASEAN Centrality within the Indo-Pacific Region. PEOPLE: International Journal of Social Sciences 6: 254–66. [Google Scholar]
- Siddiqui, Huma. 2020. India and Japan cement defence ties! Ink landmark ACSA pact, India to get access to Djibouti in Africa. Financial Express. September 10. Available online: https://www.financialexpress.com/defence/india-and-japan-cement-defence-ties-ink-landmark-acsa-pact-india-to-get-access-to-djibouti-in-africa/2082326/ (accessed on 6 April 2023).
- Smith, Jeff. 2020. The Quad 2.0: A Foundation for a Free and Open Indo-Pacific. The Heritage Foundation. July 6. Available online: https://www.heritage.org/global-politics/report/the-quad-20-foundation-free-and-open-indo-pacific (accessed on 6 April 2023).
- Thakker, Aman. 2019. India and Japan Eye the Dragon in the Room. Foreign Policy. November 20. Available online: https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/11/20/china-war-navy-india-japan-eye-dragon-in-the-room/ (accessed on 6 April 2023).
- Toan, Lam Ba Khanh, Keerthiraj, and Vo Hoang Yen. 2023. Maritime strategic cooperation between India and Vietnam: Promoting regional security and economic growth in the Indo-Pacific. Russian Law Journal 11. Available online: https://www.russianlawjournal.org/index.php/journal/article/view/1384 (accessed on 6 April 2023).
- Trading Economics. 2023. India Imports from Japan (Last 50 Years). Available online: https://tradingeconomics.com/india/imports/japan (accessed on 20 April 2023).
- Vinod, M. J. 2021. India’s new regionalism in South Asia: Changing dynamics and patterns. In Bilateral and Multilateral Cooperation in South Asia. Edited by Adluri Subramanyam Raju. New Delhi: Routledge India, pp. 120–29. [Google Scholar]
- White House. 2011. Remarks by President Obama to the Australian Parliament at Parliament House, November 17, 2011, Canberra, Australia. Available online: https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-press-office/2011/11/17/remarks-president-obama-australian-parliament (accessed on 22 April 2023).
Disclaimer/Publisher’s Note: The statements, opinions and data contained in all publications are solely those of the individual author(s) and contributor(s) and not of MDPI and/or the editor(s). MDPI and/or the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to people or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content.
© 2023 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Keerthiraj; Sekiyama, T. The Rise of China and Evolving Defense Cooperation between India and Japan. Soc. Sci. 2023, 12, 333. https://doi.org/10.3390/socsci12060333
Keerthiraj, Sekiyama T. The Rise of China and Evolving Defense Cooperation between India and Japan. Social Sciences. 2023; 12(6):333. https://doi.org/10.3390/socsci12060333Chicago/Turabian Style
Keerthiraj, and Takashi Sekiyama. 2023. "The Rise of China and Evolving Defense Cooperation between India and Japan" Social Sciences 12, no. 6: 333. https://doi.org/10.3390/socsci12060333